Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Frederick Albert Green

John Blackwell

My wife’s great uncle Sergeant Frederick Albert John Green 4th battalion Middlesex Regiment service No 7632 , died on 31st December 1915 along with four comrades and is buried in Chapelle-D’Armentierers new Military Cemetery.

I need to find out what battles/ skirmishes/incident happened around this date and to find out how he died.

John Blackwell

Worth reading the war diary for the 4th Middlesex. This suggest the incident actually occurred in the early hours of 1/1/16. There was shelling and there is also mention of grenades. “Casualties were 5 killed”. 

Ancestry link

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=dGk37&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&qh=H17VTiRhsEoJYSvw6ie/XQ%3D%3D&db=UKWarDiariesWWI&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&_F0007CF4=Middlesex regiment&_F0007CF4_x=1&_F00088EF=4th Battalion&MSAV=1&uidh=aoc&pcat=39&fh=7&h=405964&recoff=&ml_rpos=8

Hi John,

If you have access to Ancestry, there is a decent map in the 63 Brigade HQ diary (link here) which shows the trenches that the Brigade occupied in December 1915. If you were to plough through the appendices to the diary, together with those in the 21 Division HQ (General Staff) (link). Hopefully you'll find some trench map references that will enable you to establish more accurately where the 4/Middlesex were when Frederick was killed. 

Regards

Chris

John

As Chris suggests it is always a good tip to read the WDs of the Brigade and Division in which your Unit served. The salient feature of their part of the line at this time was The Mushroom, which can be found at Map Reference 36 NW I 11 c. (This was where Lt Col L C Howard of 8 Somerset L I was k in a at this time. He had been decorated for his Action at the Chalk Pit at Loos on 26/09/1915). The Unit WD has a good sketch map (WO 95/2158/2 Ancestry p 31/92). The 63 IB WD has a map (WO 95/2157/2 Ancestry page 238/570) which shows The Mushroom south of the Armentieres to Lille railway and has accounts of what was going on at there and at the craters in front. There is another map in the 21 Div HQ General Staff (WO 95 2128 Ancestry p 601/637) which shows trenches 67 and 68 (referred to in the Unit WD 01/01/1916). 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

On 30/07/2018 at 18:21, John Blackwell said:

Thank you that is helpful I will check the diaries.

john Blackeell

Have obtained the WD for 4th battalion Middlesex regiment for November 1915 to Jun 1916 . Have found reference to the loss of 5 soldiers during MG and artillery barrage on 31/11/15 & 1/1/16. This confirms the info I have from the causality lists. 

Many 

thanks 

John Blackwell 

12 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

John

As Chris suggests it is always a good tip to read the WDs of the Brigade and Division in which your Unit served. The salient feature of their part of the line at this time was The Mushroom, which can be found at Map Reference 36 NW I 11 c. (This was where Lt Col L C Howard of 8 Somerset L I was k in a at this time. He had been decorated for his Action at the Chalk Pit at Loos on 26/09/1915). The Unit WD has a good sketch map (WO 95/2158/2 Ancestry p 31/92). The 63 IB WD has a map (WO 95/2157/2 Ancestry page 238/570) which shows The Mushroom south of the Armentieres to Lille railway and has accounts of what was going on at there and at the craters in front. There is another map in the 21 Div HQ General Staff (WO 95 2128 Ancestry p 601/637) which shows trenches 67 and 68 (referred to in the Unit WD 01/01/1916). 

Brian

Have obtained WD for 4th battalion Middlesex Regiment from November 1915 and June 1916. This confirms Fred’s death during a MG and Artillery barrage along with four comrades on 31/12/15 and 1/1/16.

thanks

John Blackwell 

22 hours ago, clk said:

Hi John,

If you have access to Ancestry, there is a decent map in the 63 Brigade HQ diary (link here) which shows the trenches that the Brigade occupied in December 1915. If you were to plough through the appendices to the diary, together with those in the 21 Division HQ (General Staff) (link). Hopefully you'll find some trench map references that will enable you to establish more accurately where the 4/Middlesex were when Frederick was killed. 

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris 

have obtained the WD for the 4th battalion Middlesex Regiment during November 1915 and June 1916. They confirm Fred died with four comrades during a MG and artillery barrage on 31/12/15 & 1/1/16. I shall continue my research to discover the trench in which he died.

thanks

John