Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early Brodie

Ypres1915

I picked this helmet up recently. I think it has the first version of paint applied. It has a camo pattern on the outside, mottled orange, blue, green. It is in outstanding condition. Having this artifact has made me think about the original paint technique for these helmets. It appears the blue green paint was a part of the original paint process that created the camo finish on the outside. The inside seems to be originally blue and then overpainted with a "Wash" that created the apple green. Notice how the paint closer to the liner is bluer ….. also notice how some of this blue has dripped on the edge of the outside of the helmet. Notice how the blue paint has leaked through the hole for the copper rivet and has dripped over the camo finish. This makes me believe the blue and camo were applied at the same time and the drips occurred as the helmet was flipped to insert the liner. When manufacturing the helmet the liner must have been applied when the paint was still somewhat wet. 

All the best,

Ypres

bro9.jpg

bro10.jpg

bro1.jpg

bro2.jpg

bro3.jpg

bro4.jpg

bro5.jpg

bro6.jpg

bro7.jpg

bro8.jpg

bro19.jpg

Edited by Ypres1915

22 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

The inside seems to be originally blue and then overpainted with a "Wash" that created the apple green.  

That is a nice looking example of an early Brodie.

Can you explain what you mean by a "Wash" ?

Was the blue coat still very wet or partially dry when it was overpainted?

What colour was then applied as the Wash?

Did they use oil-based (linseed oil) paint for these helmets?

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

Looking at the helmet in hand makes me think the paint was applied in layers. The layers applied appear to be translucent and build on each other. The main colour is the blue green and the other layers where applied over the base colour. I have no idea the type of paint used or what the original colours may have looked like. The seventh photo seems to show remains of a yellow paint. The result of the combination is a red-orange, a green, and lighter green. The drip pattern makes me think the layers of paints where applied over wet base coats.

Ypres

Edited by Ypres1915