Joseph Falkiner served in france during ww1 

His medal record shows service numbers 

Royal Dublin Fusiliers  20367

Royal irish Regiment   18377 

On another doc that i came across 

1/R Dub Fus 20367

8/R Dub Fus 

2/R Ir Reg 18377 

I would be interested to know exactly where these units served in france or is this about all the info I can get 

On the free weekends of ancestory.co  I am unable to find any further info relating to either of the service records like where in france he served or where injured

He was shot  and injured and spent time in hospital in UK but no idea where or the extent of injuries

Thank you for any help 

John

Joseph falkiner record card.jpg

WP_20150930_002_1.jpg

Joseph Falkiner.jpg

Edited by JD2018
add photo

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but what is MGC please 

another thing i dont quite get is that the original photo ( photo of a photo sorry ) you can see stripes and I was of the opinion that he was a corporal but no mention of this on the records 

Thank you for taking the time to reply 

John

Edited by JD2018

1 hour ago, JD2018 said:

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but what is MGC please 

Machine Gun Corps. Two Vickers guns surmounted by a crown.

Dave

4982-machine-gun-corps.jpg

On 29/07/2018 at 12:00, Codonovan said:

Looks like a MGC cap badge was he transferred to this unit?      Rqms LF

On 29/07/2018 at 17:49, depaor01 said:

Machine Gun Corps. Two Vickers guns surmounted by a crown.

Dave

4982-machine-gun-corps.jpg

My Thanks to both of you I cant tell you how long I tried zooming in on the badge on the hat trying to figure out what it was as up til a while ago we had no info on what unit he was with 

But it certainly looks like the badge the post for the Machine gun corps 

Thank you :-)

I will upload a bigger photo of the stripes on his uniform which I would be grateful if someone could confirm that this would have been a corporal 

( what is the stick for ?) 

also any input on why on the record in my other post above lists him as a private and says class Z ( which I believe is Reserve in 1919 ) so that would have been the end of his military service and should have said corporal ?

Or is it possible I have the wrong records and this particular Joseph Falkiner  Is not my wifes grandad 

The photo is a family one so we know thats him 

Also there is a mark on the sleeve of his right arm looks like a badge or is it just  creases in the photo 

Again many thanks for your help guys :-) very kind of you to taker the time to look  

John 

Joseph Falkiner Scanned Photo.jpg

Looks like it may be one stripe, which would make him a Lance Corporal. Lance Corporal was an appointment at that time, not a rank. Medal Records usually show the substantive rank for a Lance Corporal, which would be Private.

Craig

The stick could be a swagger stick. Lots of info on those online. Usually had a silver top and carried as a decorative accoutrement.

Dave

On 31/07/2018 at 10:27, ss002d6252 said:

Looks like it may be one stripe, which would make him a Lance Corporal. Lance Corporal was an appointment at that time, not a rank. Medal Records usually show the substantive rank for a Lance Corporal, which would be Private.

Craig

Thanks for clearing that up Craig :-)

On 31/07/2018 at 11:44, depaor01 said:

The stick could be a swagger stick. Lots of info on those online. Usually had a silver top and carried as a decorative accoutrement.

Dave

The stick took the form of a short cane of polished wood, with an ornamented metal head of regimental pattern. ( google ) 

I wonder what became of the stick ?

cheers

Thank you