Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arborfield Cross - RFC Connection?

Buffnut453

I recently came across a couple of photos which have some association with a relative who served as a Fitter/Turner in the RFC.  Sadly, I have no details of where my relative served prior to September 1917 so I'm wondering if these photos might provide some clues regarding his service locations.

The first is clearly labelled Arborfield Cross, with The Bull Inn visible in the background (according to Google the pub is still there!).  The presence of the very young recruit being held by the Sergeant is intriguing but I'm more interested in any association Arborfield Cross had with the RFC. 

Arborfield Vehicle and Crew.jpg

The second image shows a wrecked pusher aircraft in a rather soggy condition.  My aircraft identification skills are failing me but I'm wondering if the experts here on GWF might know more about the type, the event and the location.

Crashed Pusher.jpg

Any suggestions or pointers would be most gratefully received.  

Many thanks,
Mark

Edited by Buffnut453

Mark

Possibly an outing from No. 1 School of Aeronautics at Coley Park about 7 miles away.

Using the Forum Search you will find some threads about the school and airfield.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

8 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

I recently came across a couple of photos which have some association with a relative who served as a Fitter/Turner in the RFC.  Sadly, I have no details of where my relative served prior to September 1917 so I'm wondering if these photos might provide some clues regarding his service locations.

The first is clearly labelled Arborfield Cross, with The Bull Inn visible in the background (according to Google the pub is still there!).  The presence of the very young recruit being held by the Sergeant is intriguing but I'm more interested in any association Arborfield Cross had with the RFC. 

Arborfield Vehicle and Crew.jpg

The second image shows a wrecked pusher aircraft in a rather soggy condition.  My aircraft identification skills are failing me but I'm wondering if the experts here on GWF might know more about the type, the event and the location.

Crashed Pusher.jpg

Any suggestions or pointers would be most gratefully received.  

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi

Appears to be a Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2b, ID possibly A55?? (even A555?), however, not enough detail to match photo with info in the Cross & Cockade Monograph on type, others may have better results.

Mike

24 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

Appears to be a Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2b, ID possibly A55?? (even A555?), however, not enough detail to match photo with info in the Cross & Cockade Monograph on type, others may have better results.

Mike

One interesting point is that there doesn't appear to be a propeller on this machine.  A clue perhaps?

1 hour ago, pete-c said:

One interesting point is that there doesn't appear to be a propeller on this machine.  A clue perhaps?

Hi

The ground crew may have removed it to put their ladder up of course?

Mike

2 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

The ground crew may have removed it to put their ladder up of course?

Mike

That did cross my mind Mike but removal of the prop just to position a ladder?  And presumably the man on the tail is there to attach a line ready to pull the machine back on an even keel to be recovered?   Seeing as the machine is partially inverted, I hope the crew got out OK.

5 hours ago, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Mark

Possibly an outing from No. 1 School of Aeronautics at Coley Park about 7 miles away.

Using the Forum Search you will find some threads about the school and airfield.

Dave

Dave,

That's a fantastic suggestion.  My relative attended No.1 School of Aeronautics (his service record identifies it as "School of Military Aeronautics") from 24 Nov 1917 until 21 Jan 1918 which would jive with the heavy coats everyone is wearing in the photo. 

I'm still not sure about the "APRFC" reference - perhaps a reference to Apprentice Pilots?

Regardless, you've helped me hone in on a timeframe for the photo and a direct association with my relative's known military service. 

Many thanks,
Mark

4 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I was really struggling to identify it for some reason.  It is, indeed, a Royal Aircraft Factory FE2b.  'Fraid I don't know enough about WW1 aircraft serials to help.

My relative did become a pilot but there's no record of FE2s in his logbook so I'm guessing this photo dates from his time as a Fitter/Turner...which covers any period from Feb 1915 to Nov 1917 (unhelpful, I know!).    

I agree with other comments.  I'm guessing they're trying to attach a rope to the tail and then haul the aircraft back upright. It's certainly an interesting photo and I hope the collective brains on GWF can help shed a little more light on it.  

If it's of interest, the vehicle in the first photo is a Crossley, workhorse of the RFC:

1918 Crossley 25/30 RFC tender

Edited by Andrew Upton

7 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

If it's of interest, the vehicle in the first photo is a Crossley, workhorse of the RFC:

1918 Crossley 25/30 RFC tender

Thanks Andrew.  That's another useful detail to add to the story.  

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread in case anyone has suggestions about the "APRFC" acronym on the first image.  

Any suggestions/pointers would be most welcome.

Many thanks,
Mark

Aircraft Park?

Errol

7 hours ago, Errol Martyn said:

Aircraft Park?

Errol

Yes, that's what I was thinking.  Earlier in the thread, someone suggested that the event might be an outing from No1 School of Aeronautics.  However, my relative went there in late 1917 at the rank of Sgt.  I recently obtained a better-quality version of the photo and he clearly has no rank insignia on his sleeve. 

I have no details of the units he served in prior to commencing pilot training in 1917.  I have seen some vague references to an Aircraft Park at Arborfield Cross.  I'm now wondering if he served there, probably in the timeframe prior to 1 July 1916 which is when he was appointed A/Cpl rank.  

Probably from the Airfield at Woodley now almost subsumed into reading.

There were weekly columns on ‘Aviation Notes and Incidents’, including the many crashes, both close by (mainly around Farnborough) and on the Continent. Germany was claiming records for flights in ‘dirigibles’, of which the Zeppelin was an  example.  In June, a well-known French aviator held an air display in a field in Woodley, which later became an aerodrome in its own right. The Lee family who later took over Newland Farm in Arborfield had a connection with Woodley; they sold ‘100-Acre Field’ to the aerodrome.

3 hours ago, 303man said:

Pub has been extended a bit but reckon the first post was taken about here.

Bull Arborfield Cross.jpg

Yep...perhaps where that telegraph pole is located on the left side of the street.  Certainly the right place.  

3 hours ago, 303man said:

Probably from the Airfield at Woodley now almost subsumed into reading.

There were weekly columns on ‘Aviation Notes and Incidents’, including the many crashes, both close by (mainly around Farnborough) and on the Continent. Germany was claiming records for flights in ‘dirigibles’, of which the Zeppelin was an  example.  In June, a well-known French aviator held an air display in a field in Woodley, which later became an aerodrome in its own right. The Lee family who later took over Newland Farm in Arborfield had a connection with Woodley; they sold ‘100-Acre Field’ to the aerodrome.

Woodley is certainly a possibility, although I wonder why it didn't say "Woodley APRFC"?  I've asked a few questions around the bazaars to see if there are any other ideas out there.

This part of Woodley was in the hands of the Palmer family until the estate broke up . The 100 acre field continued in arable use before being acquired as an aerodrome in late 1928.

23 minutes ago, Alan Bentley said:

This part of Woodley was in the hands of the Palmer family until the estate broke up . The 100 acre field continued in arable use before being acquired as an aerodrome in late 1928.

Ok...probably not Woodley, then. :-)

49 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Museum of Berkshire Aviation, Bader Way, Woodley

(To go of topic, Douglas Bader crashed at Woodley Airfield in 1913, losing his legs.)

Moonraker

Methinks 1933brather than 1913, but that's me being persnickety. :-)