Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mick Mannock - Glasnevin

Jervis

We had a long and interesting thread on Mannock and who he was. Basically it is impossible to find out who he was; but  he probably was not Irish, and had had virtually nothing to do with Ireland. Most of the information about his early life is cut and paste.

The bottom line is that nobody has found his birth certificate.to prove one way or the other where he was born

(If you have a view, can I ask you to read the whole of the two threads before replying, it is a complex subject as to sifting the information and the  Forum went into it in a great deal of detail)

53 minutes ago, corisande said:

The bottom line is that nobody has found his birth certificate.to prove one way or the other where he was born

Both previous threads very interesting, if confused in the first.  The post by a  now non-active member  seemed to me to be the strongest- the details of a birth certificate for Edward Corringham. when the (clearly rogue) father was serving with the Royal Scots Greys. .  Was there any other NCO  serving with the same surname??????   (Assumed or real)     The details of that certificate seemed to do the business.

We are into "Liberty Vallance" territory- believe the legend if there is a conflict with truth.  Anyone I ever help with family history gets the same warning up front from me- don't open the cupboard unless you are prepared for skeletons to fall out. In tracking families, it is rare for anyone's family record to be squeaky clean.

Yes, the first thread was confusing, which is why I locked it and tried to consolidate the info gained in the second thread

If I get time over the weekend, I will revisit the second thread to see if any more data has become available over the last few years

I still believe that it is possible to solve who he was born at , and where.