Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Quentin area visit March 21st to 23rd

steve fuller

Hey Pals

Im orf to see my first battlefield this March B) (first one with a specific intent anyway), as the first member of my family to visit the place where Gt Gramps fell, and to see the Pozieres Memorial, where he is remembered.

Specifically, I intend to visit the Crozat Canal around Menessis, where the 7th Bedfords & 54th Bgde made its stand on 22nd & 23rd March, and the villages of Frieres & Failleoul to the West of Menessis where they withdrew through 23rd March (when GG was KIA). I guess its usual to, but Im retracing the last steps of Pte Kendall & looking for clues where he died (although highly unlikely Ill crack that question I know!).

Could anyone be so kind as to suggest other WW1 places of note around that area, and hotels, pubs and other such amusements to make a boy smile after what I imagine will be a series of harrowing days :( . Preferably somewhere that the locals wont be too surprised to see a sad, thoughtful face (although I imagine that accounts for most of the battlefield areas really ...)?

Knowing my luck itll be as foggy as the battle itself was!

In advance, many thanks Guys & Gals

Steve The Impatient English Tourist!

Steve - You've probably looked it up but if you haven't, CB's Long Trail site has a good tour/suggestions for that area - see link

http://www.1914-1918.net/sacredground/ksch...21phototour.htm

It's an area I would like to see too. Highly envious.

Best wishes

Des

It's an area I would like to see too. Highly envious.

Well, thats easily cured Des; come for a beer with Fuller in Failleoul & fiddle with the fillies (in my dreams!!!). Bet I cant say that at 10pm on the 23rd March ... If I can do anything for ya whilst Im over there (and sober), just say mate.

Just realised how stupid I still am - didnt even look at the mother site :rolleyes: . Didnt dawn on me that this info would be there but of course it is!

And hows the Somme going mate, or is it too early to ask?

I'm sure something will spring to mind!

Have a glass for me.

Satisfactory progress on the Somme.

Cheers

I'm sure something will spring to mind!

Have a glass for me.

Satisfactory progress on the Somme.

Cheers

Just one :o ? Behave yourself mate!

Ask away Des, I still 'owe ya' for your literary talents, so would be a pleasure.

'Satisfactory' is pretty good considering youve just started isnt it?

Try this. Go to Essigny le Grand, just south of St Quentin. There is a cafe in the village, the name of which I forget (I wrote about it in WFA's Bulletin some years ago)...it's Paix, or Victoire, or Allies, or something similary Great War-like. The owner has a fantastic collection of artefacts. Ask him to show you the back garden!

Walk around St Quentin square, and imagine you are Tom Bridges, getting the tired Dublins and Warwicks back on their feet during the retreat.

Nice town war memorial down by the railway station.

Look at the shell damage on the walls of the Basilica.

Take a look at Sir John French's HQ in St Q.

Go to see Manchester Hill, and other redoubts of March 1918, just outside town.

And if Michelle Young is reading this, is your old man still in touch with Michel Dutoit in St Q (if I remember his name right - he's a teacher at St Jean et la Croix School in St Q, and your Dad worked with him on the exhibition in the Palais Fervacques about six years ago) - he is very active in Great War stuff in the town - perhaps Steve could contact him?

Steve

If you are near St Quentin you are also very near the Hindenburg Line and Bellenglise/Le Tronquoy Canal Tunnels which are of Sept-Oct 1918 interest .

Roop

• Admin
And if Michelle Young is reading this, is your old man still in touch with Michel Dutoit in St Q (if I remember his name right - he's a teacher at St Jean et la Croix School in St Q, and your Dad worked with him on the exhibition in the Palais Fervacques about six years ago) - he is very active in Great War stuff in the town - perhaps Steve could contact him?

Hello Steve,

Yes, I did read it! Drop me a mail and I'll try to help. I'm sure Pops has all the details still. Re accomodation, have you thought of Gites De France? They are reasonably priced and you can please yourself. I have the Aisne guide so if you want any tips, again, give me a shout.

Cheers, Michelle

You might want to go to Bony area, US cemetery there, see Stand To! 66 for story of Samuell Hill a Kentucky man who died a member of NZ Rifle Brigade. This is the area of the Riqueval tunnel which housed many Germans defending Hindenburg line, US 27 and 30 Divisions fought with Australians here as 46 N Midland Division was subject of one of the most famous pictures of the war after taking the bridge and crossing the canal. It's an interesting area. If so inclined you can walk down to and I think through the tunnel.

Take a look at Sir John French's HQ in St Q.

Chris

How do you find it, please?

Anthony

• Admin

Steve

Just spoken to Pops and hes happy to be of help. Mail me and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers, Michelle :blink:

PS Just noticed that Pops is having a look on forum. Whatho Bunny! :)

Edited by Michelle Young

Hello Anthony ,

Re Sir John French , his headqurters were in a very large building , Le Lycee Henri Martin . I ave a map somewhere of St Quentin and will try to find it for you . If you get to St Quentin there is a very interesting little booklet - Sur les traces de la Grande Guerre dans la region de St-Quentin which you can get in the town hall . Also of course there is Dishonoured by Peter Scott regarding the two Colonels who surrendered at St Quentin in 1914 which you may find of interest .

Maurice

By the way, there is an excellent foreword in "Sur les traces de la Grande Guerre dans la region de St-Quentin", written by the then-WFA Chairman...

Hello Anthony ,

Re Sir John French , his headqurters were in a very large building , Le Lycee Henri Martin . I ave a map somewhere of St Quentin and will try to find it for you . If you get to St Quentin there is a very interesting little booklet - Sur les traces de la Grande Guerre dans la region de St-Quentin which you can get in the town hall . Also of course there is Dishonoured by Peter Scott regarding the two Colonels who surrendered at St Quentin in 1914 which you may find of interest .

Maurice

Many thanks for that - I hope to be back in the area soon following successfully getting the family to Le Cateau last October.

By the way, are any of the other Army and Corps HQs during the 1914 retreat known? I'd be especially interested in S.D.'s. :rolleyes: See, e.g. http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=21571&hl=

Regards

Anthony

WOW!!!!

Youre all brilliant, thank you one & all. Looks like the trips gonna be a bit longer than originally expected then!! But in the words of Mr Keidis "nothing ever goes according to plan ..."!

Michelle; will mail you & pops - thanks hon.

Chris; Manchester Hill is a given really isnt it? Gotta see where it all happened ...

Blimey, this is gonna be a good one; I CANT WAIT :D !!!!!!!

Hello Anthony ,

I'm sorry to say that I can't put my hand on the St Quentin map at present but the town hall will have one . Regarding Headquarters ,the one at Le Cateau is the building which houses the exhibition of Matisse? . On the right hand side as you go down the main road in the town just after the town hall . Sir John also had his HQ in Noyon very briefly in what is now an Academy of Music . On the right hand side of the road as you approach the very large church in the centre of Noyon . A very impressive building and you can go inside . It has a plaque on the entrace to the courtyard and is very easy to find . Smith- Dorriens Hq was at Sars-La-Bruyere on August 23rd but I dont know if it is open for visits . Haig had his HQ in Landrecies on August 25th in the old Marine Barracks which are still standing . Have never been inside however .

If you would like some more please let me know

Maurice

Steve you really must do something with your doo before you go! :o

Sorry Paul, my doo? (The hair maybe? Would look a bit windswept this time of the year wouldnt I?)

Well, just to say a public THANK YOU to Michelle, Maurice & the rest of you for your kind help. Nice one :D

If you're in the Holnon area then you're not far from Chappel British Military Cemetery where my great uncle William is buried (see signature), he was killed on the 21st March. You can put a face to the grave by visiting the Long, Long Trail and looking in the Ordinary Heroes section.

If you're in the Holnon area then you're not far from Chappel British Military Cemetery where my great uncle William is buried (see signature), he was killed on the 21st March. You can put a face to the grave by visiting the Long, Long Trail and looking in the Ordinary Heroes section.

Hi Lee(?)

Remember William from last year mate, may well do that actually....

Sincerely good with the diary / Army Book BTW - what a find mate :o . Even a reference to the contents would be nice for someone, somewhere wouldnt it?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, you will find much to see in the area.....the canal, tunnels, Manchester Hill and much more....get a copy of "The Hindenburg Line" in the Battleground Europe" series, there are many maps showing what is to be seen today. Well worth a tenner. Mebu.

Remember William from last year mate, may well do that actually....

Sincerely good with the diary / Army Book BTW - what a find mate :o . Even a reference to the contents would be nice for someone, somewhere wouldnt it?

Hi Steve - Yep 'tis I, Lee!

The books are great, I so want to let everyone know the names etc but until the family allow me to I have to repect their wishes....hopefully soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lee; Yea, sounds great mate! Still, patience, as they say :rolleyes: !

Thanks mebu; off to the library for those I think! Thank you.

And another public thanks to Maurice, for posting that great package to me. Ill copy & return it this week, but sorry about the delay ....