Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/2nd (London) Field Coy, R.E.

Marc Thompson

Are any Pals able to enlighten me on the movements of the 1/2nd (London) Field Company (subsequently 510th Field Company), Royal Engineers, 29th Division in August 1915?

I have been looking at a Sapper from this unit who was KIA 23rd August 1915. The local paper indicates he was killed at Suvla, Gallipoli as does the headstone of his wife which seems to fit in with the movements of the 29th Division at this time. I have been unable to trace the WO95 war diary reference for this unit at the PRO/NA during 1915. His service papers did not survive.

Given the above sources it is strange why his name should be recorded on the Basra Memorial, Iraq?

Any thoughts.

Marc

Marc

Try an enquiry to the RE Corps Library, Brompton Barracks, Chatham, Kent ME4 4UG. Tel: 01634 822416. I don't know the extent of their holdings but they do have copies of war diaries.

Terry Reeves

I'm pretty sure most of 29th Division didn't move up to Suvla until about November 1915; before that they were holding the ground south of and around the Gully Ravine sector. Stephen Chambers had just published a book on this in the 'Battleground Europe' series.

29th Division moved to Suvla Bay in August 1915. 87th Brigade were first, landing on 17th August, followed by 86th Brigade on 19th and 88th on 20-21st. At the time of death of your soldier there was much fighting for Scimitar Hill and Chocolate Hill. This resulted in many casualties - 87th Brigade alone lost 40 officers and 1100 OR's.

Thus nothing seems unusual about your man dying in the Suvla Bay area on that date and in that unit.

By why listed on the Basra Memorial - a very good question. I wonder is it actually so, or is it a CWGC database error?

The Sapper in question is 1727 Aubrey Smith Maynard.

No service papers survive at the PRO for him. The MIC/Medal Rolls indicate that he entered this theatre of war on 25th April 1915, almost certainly at W Beach with 29th Division.

The report of his death in the local paper from his colleague, Sapper P. Holt states that he was out all night of the 22nd August helping the wounded in after an action in the Dardenelles, when he met his death about 5.30 am.

The CWGC entry indicates that he is commemorated on panels 5 and 61 of the Basra Memorial.

I tend to agree with you Chris. I wonder whether this is simply an error on the CWGC database?

I've checked a paper copy of the Helles Memorial Register and he is not listed there. Just a hope. I guess you still need to look at the actual memorial, or perhaps one of the Pals will.

Maybe it was thought he was on a ship that was sunk about this time, or that he died at sea? Several Gallipoli casualties wounded at Gallipoli and who died en-route to hospitals were buried at sea, and the Basra Memorial commemorates some of them. I have come across this before. Obviously an error in your case, but might explain why?

The MIC/Medal Rolls indicate that he entered this theatre of war on 25th April 1915, almost certainly at W Beach with 29th Division.

Hi Marc

I am sorry to disagree with you but if the MIC states he entered the theatre of war on 25 April 1915, then I do not think he landed on W beach on that date.

What location does it give, Egypt (3)?

As far as I am aware the date given on the medal roll is the date they arrived in Egypt (or Mudros). It seems he arrived there coincedentally on the date of the Gallipoli landings.

My Gt Uncle was a Sapper who landed on the 25th April and his MIC gives a date of 17th March (this is the date he landed at Alexandria).

Men from the 29th Division should have a date they entered the theatre of war of late March 1915, the date they arrived in Alexandria.

Hope that all makes sense. :)

Raster,

Thanks. Probably an unsound assessment on my part that he landed at W Beach on this date with other parties of the 1/2nd London RE. The location given as first theatre of war served was 2b (Gallipoli-Dardenelles).

Regards

Marc