Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded in action Oct 1918 England?

Schiellj

I have a record saying that my great grandfather John Henry (or Hendry) McKenzie of the South African Infantry was wounded in action Oct of 1918 and it says in England. Was there even any action in or near England right before the end of the war. Where would be a good place to find records, what hospitals might he have been treated at etc?  

Thanks in advance,

Lisa Jo

Edited by Schiellj

4 hours ago, Schiellj said:

I have a record saying that my great grandfather John Henry (or Hendry) McKenzie of the South African Infantry was wounded in action Oct of 1918 and it says in England. Was there even any action in or near England right before the end of the war. Where would be a good place to find records, what hospitals might he have been treated at etc?  

Thanks in advance,

Lisa Jo

Can you show the relevant part of the records that you have ?

Craig

5982C327-FB2E-4747-93A3-6975F9DC455B.png

Hi Lisa Jo,

My guess would be that John was one of the 377 'other ranks' recorded in the war diary as being casualties for the period 7th to 20th October 1918. Passing down the evacuation chain before arriving in England for further treatment/recuperation. The war diary is here on Ancestry (UK), or here at the National Archives.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 2 weeks later...

They sent me these records. Is it common for names to get screwed up like this?  The other info matches. 

J H MCKENZIE 2.pdf

It seems to have been as clk suggested - he was wounded in France on 20th and evacuated to England on 24th October 1918.

Cheers, Pat
322498636_SArecord.jpg.35def9a9f35428c1fa3c2fda73b00067.jpg

SA record.pdf

Edited by Pat Atkins

Hi Lisa Jo,

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 04:11, Schiellj said:

what hospitals might he have been treated at

Page 4 of your pdf seems to read that he was treated at 41 Casualty Clearing Station; 1 Australian General Hospital (in Rouen); and the South African Hospital (in Richmond, Surrey).There is some information on the evacuation chain here

Regards

Chris