Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many of the missing are found every year

Phill Jones

Obviously records are kept as to how many Servicemen are found on western front , can anyone tell me if a website /database is kept that is in the public domain where one can find out about this also  can anyone tell me how many are found every year .  Can anyone advise me how i can find out more on this subject .

Thanks Phill Jones 

• Admin

There are a number of regularly added threads on here by Terry Denham that give details on new CWGC commemorations so perhaps a search or pm to Terry will assist you in your quest

Phil,

take a look at the archeological dig at Hill 80. In a small area the remains of around 125 soldiers were uncovered (mainly German I understand). This was an organised excavation in quite a hotspot. If that number of men were added to the number found in general per annum I wonder if that would make an impact on the annual stats?

in truth I can’t answer your question but will follow your topic in the hope the more knowledgeable members may satisfy our curiosities.

Some years ago I was walking from Mametz Wood back to Dantzig Alley cemetery when I spotted a bone at the edge of a recently ploughed field. I’ve know way of saying if this was human or otherwise but it set my mind on the same lines as yours so I look forward to reading other replies.

Simon

• 1 year later...
On 27/07/2018 at 21:29, mancpal said:

take a look at the archeological dig at Hill 80. In a small area the remains of around 125 soldiers were uncovered (mainly German I understand).

By the way, the Volksbund will hold a memorial event at the funeral of the German soldiers on Langemarck Cemetery. It will take place on 11 October 2019 at 2pm.

FWIW doing a survey on the CWGC twitter feed might be a good place to start, they always seem to post when they are burying someone 'new' or looking for NOK

Steven Johns "the welsh at war)makes a point of bringing in from the cold people he has "found" in unidentified  graves,in West Wales:poppy: