Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South wales borderers BRECKNOCKS

Phill Jones

Please i hope someone can confirm the following for me , did the Brecknocks SWB wear a different cap badge to other battalions of the SWB .

Thanks Phill Jones 

theres a few on a well known auction site for sale now

:poppy:

Welsh dragon facing left (as on the Welsh flag) with scroll "Brecknockshire" underneath, I think.  I used to have a WW1 postcard of a soldier wearing this at Fort Scoveston, Pembrokeshire circa 1914-15, but passed it on many moons ago.  

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Thank you very much 

Strangely the second line battalion formed in Brecon to become 2/1 Brecnock Battalion was absorbed by the Royal Welch Fusiliers. The third line eventually become part of the Monmouth Regiment. 

EDIT Clive is correct in the description of the cap badge. 2nd battalion Mons had a similar cap badge with "2nd Monmouth" instead of "Brecknock". 

Not sure on 1st or 3rd but I know there are slight changes in the wings of the dragon for instance. 

Edited by Scalyback

Thanks very much to all for this most helpful

Phill Jones 

I may have more information on the badge used on the headstone. A trip needed out. 

The way the battalion is recorded by the CWGC makes it hard to trace them as a separate battalion. I'm aware of seven deaths in Aden and 25 in India and one home death(the one I will have a look at) but will keep plugging away to find more. 

Hi Scalyback , 

I have one soldier who served and died  with the Brecknocks who i am interested in his name Albert Appleyard  2085/200511 died 29/10/18 of unspecified disease buried at Mhow New Cemetery , i needed to know about the cap badge so i could add an image to his Bio , he is to feature in a local exhibition to those who fell who came from or had connections to the old county of Radnorshire . do you have this Man in your data .

rgs Phill

The following may be of interest

An Indian Pilgrimage
 by Martin Everett. rorkesdriftvc.com. Appears to be written 2003 or earlier. This article describes headstones in the old cantonment cemetery near Mhow railway station relating to some twenty deaths from Spanish ‘flu in September 1918 of men from the  Brecknockshire Battalion, South Wales Borderers.

"The British Campaign in Aden, 1914-1918" by Mark Connelly Journal of the Centre for First World War Studies Vol. 1, No. 3, 2005. pages 65-96, now archived. Mentions the Territorial Force 4/South Wales Borderers (Brecknockshire Battalion) where there were deaths from heatstroke.

Cheers
Maureen

Thank you Maureen. They had a pretty rubbish time in Aden, the match to battle did sound help on earth. 

Phil, same data as you. I'm mainly interested in 53rd Division but as a side theme TF unit in South Wales. As you have no doubt found, Mons have plenty on them and a few monuments(Abergavenny and Newport) yet Brecknocks very little. 

Hi Phill,

The CWGC had standard pattern-books for the types of badges to be used on headstones - I remember glancing at one of them in the IWM London Library many years ago.  Would it be worth your asking CWGC what pattern they used (or now use) for men of the Brecknocks?

Alternatively, are there casualties of the battalion buried in the UK, whose headstones might be checked?  Some of those will be private headstones, but for men who died 1914-15 it's possibIe official stones exist.   

I say UK since once in India or Aden, the small "Gallipoli" style markers or private headstones might have been favoured out there, which don't have a unit badge. 

Clive

Private of the Brecknocks Batt. S.W.B T.F.

Scan_20180728 (2).jpg

Scan_20180728 (3).jpg

Many thanks to all plenty to be going on with here 

5 hours ago, Scalyback said:

Do you know where this was taken?

Unfortunately not -it's a UK post card with no location or photographers details. 

9 hours ago, Scalyback said:

Thank you looks a double for a chap I was in school with, almost a spitting image of him apart from the hair styling.

:rolleyes: Funny you should say that - I have several postcards featuring "people I know", and a few "celebs".

• 1 year later...