Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4TH BATTALION WELSH REGIMENT

BIFFO

I have a soldier Arthur Davies reg number 5101,his mic states left for the Balkans 7th august 1915,he was kia at Gallipoli 10th august 1915,

now that cannot be 3 days from uk to Gallipoli, the only war diary I can find starts December 915,when the show wa all over .

Any GWF welsh reg wizards who can clear this up /

Biffo :poppy:

Hi

Isn't the 7th the date he landed ??

From Westlake,

They arrived at Lemnos on 7th, and landed at "C" Beach, Suvla on the 9th. Then advanced and fought for Scimitar Hill.

Sorry do not have the WD.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Photograph of Arthur in  Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser 15/10/1915.      www.cymru 1914 .org

Bob

Thanks chaps

Graeme,both mic and m/roll state embarked 7-aug kia 10th aug,as you are well aware NORMALY this means embarked 2left uk"

a davies mic 1.jpg

a davies mroll.jpg

a davies photo.jpg

I have the book of the 53rd,so will have a look see ???

thanks bob have trawled the welsh papers

:poppy:

Hi

I believe the date is the LANDING date in a theater of war and does not include conveyancing to the theater.

(I cannot see embarked on those forms, BUT I can see disembarkation)

They actually sailed on 19th July from Devonport and arrived Alexandria on 30th.

Sailed on 4th and arrived Lemnos on 7th,

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

27 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

I have the book of the 53rd,so will have a look see ???

thanks bob have trawled the welsh papers

:poppy:

Slightly off topic, does the Signal Company get mentioned much?

I have seen some strange dates on the MICs in the past - some dates are clearly the date they left the UK whereas some are when they landed in theatre. Seems to be down to whatever the clerk recorded originally in the service record.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I agree with you comments on being drafted to France ie 1 day. Some use the leaving date and some the landing.

The form above clearly stated 'date of disembarkation'

Regards,

Graeme

Same issue for me; brothers in same Battalion travelled from Liverpool to Gallipoli together have different theatre entry dates in MIC (one has embarked date other disembarked date) plus the extra issue where one correctly states 2b and the other incorrectly 2a (in July 1915!). It was handy their being brothers and knowing their history to easily spot this. The elder brother transferred regiments twice more in the war so by the time the rolls and cards were collated the qualifying regiment was not his current regiment which could well have generated discrepancies?

Edited by PaddyO

13 minutes ago, PaddyO said:

Same issue for me; brothers in same Battalion travelled from Liverpool to Gallipoli together have different theatre entry dates in MIC (one has embarked date other disembarked date) plus the extra issue where one correctly states 2b and the other incorrectly 2a (in July 1915!). It was handy their being brothers and knowing their history to easily spot this. The elder brother transferred regiments twice more in the war so by the time the rolls and cards were collated the qualifying regiment was not his current regiment which could well have generated discrepancies?

I think the issue still goes back to the original service records and the dates used  - they tend to state a quick summary, something along the lines of Home 01 Apr 15 to 01 Jun 15, Egypt 02 Jun 15 to XXX.

Problem is that the date of 02 Jun is sometimes the date theatre was entered and sometimes the date they left the UK - if the clerk compiling the medal rolls is told to use 02 Jun as that should be the date of entry then he is none the wiser if the original entry is wrong, he is just using what he is given. I doubt he'd have much time to check when he had thousands of entries to get through (and in most the cases a slight date error wouldn't affect the medal entitlement).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Have since found out embarked from Devonport 19th July as per Graeme's post :thumbsup: