Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stuffing a body in a First World War Russian Ship.

BML

I have just read that during the 1917 Russian Revolution the mutineers killed their officers and stuffed their bodies into the ships boilers.  I have no idea what size the opening of those boilers were but was that feasible?

They were big enough to climb in to for cleaning purposes. I have a photo from the Navy and Army Illustrated somewhere - hold the line.

Yes the Russia sailors did this to their officers sometimes while still alive. Also the openings were big enough to do so.

Navy and Army Illustrated, vol. 4, Sept. 3rd, 1897, p.243. (not a photo, my mistake!)

Boilers.jpg

Edited by seaJane

• 2 weeks later...

The external boiler clean....a dreaded job for us young artificers and stoker colleagues on the old aircraft carrier HMS Bulwark.  It burned crude heavy furnace fuel oil making boiler cleans a regular occurance. I was posted from here to the destroyer HMS London which burned the much cleaner diesel with steam atomisation making external boiler cleans virtually a thing of the past. Internal boiler cleans were a much cleaner evolution and carried out very rarely or if boiler water contamination had occurred.

Edited by Lawryleslie

My father qualified as a boiler maker (with an engineering degree from the Dockyard School). He said that the reason why he gave it up and went to be a draughtsman (than a clerk as that was better paid- those were the days), was that he hated having to climb into the boilers to scrape the tubes. Then find that sweating had caused him to swell, and he had to strip naked to be able to just about, crawl out.

Not one of the jobs that the great public thinks of workers in government service having to do.

I vaguely remember something about 10" x 18" oval manholes being the acceptable size to get in when I was in the boat yard.

Such a joy being the holder-up for the riveters; apprentices went where they were sent and woe betide you if your tradesman though you were slowing his piece-work bonus. 

LawryLeslie, Off topic but when were you in the London?

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2018 at 12:33, wallace2 said:

LawryLeslie, Off topic but when were you in the London?

Sorry for delay in replying to your comments. I was in HMS London from April 1975 until July 1977 just after the Silver Jubilee Fleet Review at Spit Head.