Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Robert Cecil Knott Northumberland Fusiliers

Gareth Davies

Captain Robert Cecil Knott died on 14 Aug 1916 and is buried in Cabaret Rouge.  I know (think?) that he was originally in the 9th Bn (as a CQMS) and then was commissioned into the 28th Bn or 20th Bn before being attached to the 19th Bn.  He had been in the UK (appendicitis) until 11 Jul 16 so he missed out on the horror of 1 Jul 16 at La Boiselle.  On 6 Jul 16 his Bde (102nd Tyneside Scottish) were moved to 37th Div where they stayed until after his death.  My questions are:

a.  When did he arrive in France/Flanders and where was he when with 9th Bn?

b.  When did he leave for UK for officer training?

c.  When was he commissioned?  Did he go back to F&F before he became ill?  I am guessing not because I don't think there are enough days in the calendar to have enabled this.

d.  What were his Bn (20th) up to on 14 Aug 16 (or maybe a few days before) that caused him to die and be buried in Cabaret Rouge?  I think they were involved in some raiding in the line north of Arras.  I know that Stewart & Sheen's book would answer this but I can't get to a copy for a few days . 

I know (think?) that he was originally in the 9th Bn (as a CQMS) and then was commissioned into the 28th Bn or 20th Bn before being attached to the 19th Bn.

The war gratuity would suggest he was no more than a Corporal as acting/substantive rank however I have noticed some inconsistencies where a man has been commissioned. If anyone can confirm his rank and whether it was acting/temp/substantive I'd be interested to know.

There's no date of entry on the MIC or medal roll and no Star noted on the MIC so it looks like he arrived overseas after 31 Dec 15.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig.  The 9th Bn arrived in France in July 1915. 

Hi,

Interestingly, there are some papers for this chap...

image.png.94449e35cd79d118e79adb73489b288f.png

Image source: Findmypast - WW1 British Army Service Records

image.png.1df37be042e40dfa536c79571a157278.png

image.png.55af6b0b0c8b38210b18111e15f44db4.png

...and the back of Captain Knott's MiC

image.png.0f01ebced15622feba4013baa8bb52b5.png

Image source: Ancestry.co.uk - WW1 British Army Medal Index Cards

Hmm! So discharged (not likely to become an efficient soldier) on 22nd December 1914, but commissioned wef 3rd January 1915??

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris.  How did he go from Pte to Sjt immediately (or am I misreading) and then to LSjt by 27 Nov 14 in under 3 months to then get discharged?   

• Admin
8 minutes ago, clk said:

Hmm! So discharged (not likely to become an efficient soldier) on 22nd December 1914, but commissioned wef 3rd January 1915??

But then he had risen very rapidly from Private to Lance Sergeant (do I see him a full sergeant and reduced?)

Strange discharge code though.... could being an officer render him unfit to be an efficient soldier? (sarcasm)

Gareth beat me to it

Edited by DavidOwen
typing too slow

Here's what that para in KRs means: 

KR392 Para 3.jpg

According to the Universities at War site he is on the University of Durham’s Roll of Service, http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=11413 , and they also say  in his biography he attended the OTC for military training at Armstrong College, which was split part in Durham part in Newcastle (refer to Wiki).

Probably not relevant, but information all the same.

That discharge would explain why the war gratuity is funny.

Unusual to see a commissioned man with a service record that's been left in the normal run of records

43 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Thanks Chris.  How did he go from Pte to Sjt immediately (or am I misreading) and then to LSjt by 27 Nov 14 in under 3 months to then get discharged?   

He was appointed Company QM Sgt straight after enlistment and then dropped to unpaid (later paid) Lance Serjeant. I wonder if 'needs must' took over initially on formation of the new battalion and then he was dropped when a better candidate became available. He is listed as an 'undergraduate'.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Gareth

re question D "34th Div Diary 14th August 1916...relief took place during night of 14/15th in accordance with o/o No48 . On completion of relief units of the 103rd Bgde comes under command of GOC 103rd Bgde. Casualties.....20NF CAPT KNOTT Killed.

The meeting point for the Guides was X23a 5.1 (36B) Relieved by 11th Royal Scots (Fusiliers)

Eddie

Thanks Eddie.  

The map ref is on Caberet Road Trench at the crossroads known as Point G 

Edited by EDWARD1
changed rouge to road

Thanks. I don't have the British trenches on the map I am looking at.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 19.43.45.png

This is 1st Sept 1916 Map from British Trench Map Atlas (which does name the trench as Caberet Rouge as originally posted)

36B.jpg

No it doesnt . its the earlier April Map. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you.

Hi Knotty,

7 hours ago, Knotty said:

...he attended the OTC for military training at Armstrong College, which was split part in Durham part in Newcastle....

Probably not relevant,

Au contraire. Of course I don't know for sure, but it had crossed my mind that his initial accelerated promotion might have been because of his OTC experience. 

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

I don't suppose he was related to Sir James Knott, North Shields shipping magnate and father of James and Basil of Reservoir Cemetery, Ypres fame ???  There is circumstantial  evidence linking your man to a part of Newcastle (Benwell) closely associated with the Knott Trust. Nesham Street would have been very close to Armstrong College.

Edited by Hyacinth1326
more info

I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if they were related.  

A tantalising possibilty.  Either way Sir James Knott (Prince Line) was a man of significant local and national influence. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

I will ask the family.

• 6 months later...

Just starting to look at the records of officers featured in a photo I bought a while back and came across this thread so thought I'd add his image:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this, sorry. Thank you for posting. 

• 2 months later...
On 4 February 2019 at 09:43, mrfrank said:

Just starting to look at the records of officers featured in a photo I bought a while back and came across this thread so thought I'd add his image:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where was this photo taken please? Was it Camberley or in France?