Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Padget?

Don

I enclose a Cutting from a War Diary date June 1915. Is this General Padget ?or Gunner Padget

Gen Padget.pdf

Gen Padget.pdf

Edited by Don

• Admin

Don

Both links you have posted lead to the same pdf attachment and I would say it is definitely General. I doubt the fact that a Gunner had visited the trenches and watched mortar (s being fired?) would warrant a mention in the WD.

However a search of the IWM collections doesn't provide anything against Padget for WW1

Regards

David

Original Post 2 has been deleted by member who posted it so context of this post has changed

Edited by DavidOwen
original #2 deleted

29 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Don

Both links you have posted lead to the same pdf attachment and I would say it is definitely General. I doubt the fact that a Gunner had visited the trenches and watched mortar (s being fired?) would warrant a mention in the WD.

However a search of the IWM collections doesn't provide anything against Padget for WW1

Regards

David

Original Post 2 has been deleted by member who posted it so context of this post has changed

My post was deleted because the OP posted the links into the original post after I pointed out that the were no links attached. This meant my post was redundant - superfluous if you like. The context still remains the same.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• Admin
Just now, Terry_Reeves said:

My post was deleted because the OP posted the links into the original post after I pointed out that there were no links. This meant my post was redundant - superfluous if you like. The context still remains the same.

TR

Thanks for the clarification Terry

Regards

David

Thank you David and Terry for the Obs.

I am putting together my Grandfathers war service and I came across the insert which intrigued me. As you say it was probably a typo on his behalf

Coincidently the battery was visited by two more Generals after they came out of the firing line.

To see one General was I think rare enough but to see three in one month.

I enclose  

Battery inspected by Generals.pdf

20 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Whilst he officially didn't serve in France in WW1 might it be this gentleman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Paget_(British_Army_officer)

An understandable spelling mistake by the officer writing the diary if so,

David

buffsarthurpaget.jpg

I agree that this is probably the most likely candidate.

Paget was (is?) the family name of the Earls of Uxbridge/ Marquesses of Anglesey, were any other Pagets generals in WW1?

RM

Edited by rolt968

• Admin
2 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I agree that this is probably the most likely candidate.

Paget was (is?) the family name of the Earls of Uxbridge/ Marquesses of Anglesey, were any other Pagets generals in WW1?

RM

Apparently there was according to LOFWW there was this gentleman too https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5395806

Also checked for "Padgett" but no Generals there.

Edited by DavidOwen
Added Padgett and changed "not" to "there was" (context wrong)

• Admin
53 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Apparently not according to LOFWW there was this gentleman too https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5395806

Some biographical detail on Wellesley Lynedoch Henry Paget (died in 1918 aged 60, relinquished command 9/8/16) courtesy of Paget family records (in public domain)

http://www.anatpro.com/index_files/Wellesley_Lynedoch_Henry_Paget.htm