Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Better 'Ole Tea Gardens & Better 'Ole Tours

BBairnsfather

Just wondering if anyone has any information on, or knowledge of the Better 'Ole Tea Gardens - a café for visitors to the battlefields - and Better 'Ole Tours - ex-servicemen conducting battlefield tours - which were both run by Mr J Barnes, and took their name from Bruce Bairnsfather's famous cartoon. The Better 'Ole Tea Gardens was situated at Souchez, and Better 'Ole Tours had its main office at the Café Paul, Arras. I've just acquired two business cards for these business ventures (see attached images) and would like to try and discover a little more of their history, and any information on Mr J Barnes, who I gather also worked as a painter and decorator locally. I have found a few references to the Better 'Ole Tea Gardens - the earliest being from 1932 and the most recent 1967 (when it seemed Mr Barnes and his wife still ran the operation). Apparently there had originally been a Dressing Station in the cellar of the Better 'Ole Tea Gardens. Any help appreciated.

184_001.jpg

889_001.jpg

Great finds, my Gt Uncle was kia by Souchez and I wonder if the family ever visited the Cafe or went on the tour,

Tony