Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt F A HODGES RFA Medal Roll

Crab

I have just discovered that my great aunt's husband had an Army career (1914-1924 at least), largely as a result of their not being any military enlistment details in Ancestry for him.

From his Medal Roll he was 46248 Br? Hodges FA of the 34th Bde, Royal Field Artillery and appears to have enlisted as a Br (could this be Bombardier) and retired as a Lt.

There are mentions of the 1914 Star,clasps and clasps and roses? and of course Victory and British War medals.  Bde locations of Swanage and Bulford and I assume his address at retirement are mentioned.  He appears to have progressed through the 331st and 35th Bdes of the RFA during his career.

I would very much appreciate if someone could unscramble/transpose the details on the attached medal rolls into a mini record of service, and if there is any other source whereby I can extract more of his Army service, I would be most grateful to do a bit of spade work myself.

Regards
Crab

Medals of Frank A HODGES.jpg

Graeme

How does the phrase go "Gott in Himmell."

You've more than doubled my knowledge of Frank HODGES in two posts.

Many many thanks

Ken the Crab 

Hi Ken,

2 hours ago, Crab said:

any other source whereby I can extract more of his Army service

What's left of his service file is held by the National Archives (link). Unfortunately it isn't available as a download.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

There's help on how to read medal cards here

Edited by clk

Haven't looked at his number although if he went to war in 1914 with 34 Brigade then he was almost without doubt a pre-war regular soldier by the look of it.

I've had a bit of a trawl round and find him in 331 Brigade RFA when captured.  Although that was a New Army unit, quite normal for an experienced man to serve with such a unit even though a regular.  The retirement referred to is of course the result of the 21 March 1918 offensive.

Attached is the end page from the March 1918 diary from WO95/3128 (on Ancestry as well as at National Archives).

Max

43112_3128_0-00107.jpg

Edited by MaxD

His POW record lists him as B Battery (without the brigade number).

Although the second initial is wrong, the 331 Brigade diary for 17 April 1917 records him arriving (as 2/Lt FH Hodges) and posted to B Battery from 24 Divisional Ammunition Column.  His commission and departure from 24 DAC to 66 Division (as BSM FA Hodges) is duly recorded on the same day in the DAC diary.

The guns of B Battery of 331 Brigade, forming part of the 66th Divisional Artillery, had been in position since 8 March, deployed to the south west of Hargicourt with 4 guns in square L 15 c centred on 15 c 4 2 and 2 guns in L 15 d centred on L 15 d 3 5:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=49.9572&lon=3.1572&layers=101465290&right=BingHyb

Max

PS 

I'll backtrack over this and provide diary numbers in due course (table needs varnishing)

Edited by MaxD
Typos

The 1914 Star medal roll confirms he went to war with 34 Brigade as a Bombardier, disembarking in France on 16 August 1914.

Relevant diaries (so far)

WO95/1324 34 Brigade (covers up to Apr 1917 by which time he had left that brigade)

WO95/2198/3 24 Div Ammunition Column ( posted from there 17 April 1917 to 331 Brigade on commissioning)

WO95/3128 331 Brigade (records arrival from 24 DAC and capture on 21 Mar 1918)

WO95/3124/2  Commander Royal Artillery 66 Div (has locations for March 1918)

So far:

France 16 August 1914 with 34 Brigade

Aug 14- Apr 17 unaccounted for

April 1917 is in 24 DAC and posted to 331 Bde

Apr 17- 21 Mar 1918 in 331 Brigade.

Must have been with 35 Brigade at some time if reference to that brigade on his card is to be believed.  WO95/1643 not yet looked at.  Further work possibly:

34 Brigade for his posting to X.

24 DAC for his arrival from X or AN Other

35 Brigade for any reference prior to Apr 1917.

Max

Max

Many thanks for the Battlefield map, the satellite view was an eyeopener as I've driven down the A26 numerous times and never realised the significance of Hargicourt until now.  Grateful for the picture of RFA service for Lt Hodges am enjoying the reading.

Hope the varnish has dried.

Ken