Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am visiting the Somme next week for the first time. Can anyone give me any info regarding the Ginchy Quadrilateral... is there anything left to look at? I saw an earlier post regarding a 1916 memorial that no longer exists on the site, but I was wondering whether there are any of the infamous German defences left. I read in one book that the original concrete positions still stand, but can't get that clarified in any battlefield guide book. I only have two days on the Somme, so have to maximise all my time. Thank you :) 

Edited by Flt32

Hello Flt32, and welcome to the Forum

Unfortunately from my experience there is nothing left of the Quadrilateral and its defences at all. It is now a field that is cropped every year. With a trench map, however, you can easily locate the starting positions of the 15 September 1916 attacks (is that the one you are interested in? and would that be the 9th Norfolks?)

Andrew

The location is now partly covered by a hardstand for beet crop storage, and partly field. It is immediately opposite the exit of the track that leads from the Guards Memorial to the Ginchy-Morval road, adjacent to the latter on the south side of the road. My visits have exposed no remnants of the strongpoint - such as there may be will be entirely subterranean. It is now surrounded on three sides not by Norfolks, (well, I'd expect there are still a few there) but by a growth of 21st century mechanical triffids!

I'm not sure that as a defensive position it was much different from others on that part of the line. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons it got a formidable reputation was that it was in the wrong place on British maps and that it was on a backward slope and not to the front as was thought. There is a photo of the area that shows how almost all the shell holes were in the wrong place. It could also be reinforced from a switch line. It was a strong point, but nothing like those at Thiepval.

Mike

Thanks all. I did fear there would be nothing left to see, I do have a trench map so will do my best to locate the site. Yes Andrew, especially interested in 15/09/16 and The Norfolks, and will do my best to see as much of the surrounding area as possible. I am trying to cram in as much as I can in the 2 days before I move up to Ypres. Particularly want to see as much of the High wood area as possible. (Big obsession of mine) I know the wood itself is private property, which is gutting, but at least can walk around it. 

I found it in 2014 exactly where Horrocks said it was. No fortifications to be seen but it's quite obvious. 

8 hours ago, aengland said:

Hello Flt32, and welcome to the Forum

Unfortunately from my experience there is nothing left of the Quadrilateral and its defences at all. It is now a field that is cropped every year. With a trench map, however, you can easily locate the starting positions of the 15 September 1916 attacks (is that the one you are interested in? and would that be the 9th Norfolks?)

Andrew

Hoping to re-trace the Norfolks route on 15/9 as much as possible. Very little in my guide book (nothing at all in fact) to help, so will use my trench map. Would hope to stand on the site of the Quadrilateral and look out to Leuze Wood, that would be something. 

4 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

I'm not sure that as a defensive position it was much different from others on that part of the line. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons it got a formidable reputation was that it was in the wrong place on British maps and that it was on a backward slope and not to the front as was thought. There is a photo of the area that shows how almost all the shell holes were in the wrong place. It could also be reinforced from a switch line. It was a strong point, but nothing like those at Thiepval.

Mike

Mike, any chance you could point us in the direction of the photo you mention please?

Cheers, Tom.

Good question, Tom! It was few years ago now, but I think it may be in Trevor Pidgeon's The Tanks at Flers.

Mike

Ok, thanks Mike. I will check it out.

7 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Trevor Pidgeon's The Tanks at Flers.

This is an excellent account of the attacks on 15 September and the maps that accompany it are superlative.... If you could get hold of a copy Flt32 for the 9th Norfolks attack, and the accompanying text, then you would have a first class account with which to study the ground. 

Andrew

I studied this for the KSLI Officers' Association in 2014 and you might be interested in the talk given on the Quadrilateral, which culminated with 1 KSLI's part in taking the Quadrilateral on 18 September - see attached.

Robin

1 KSLI Quadrilateral 1916.pdf