Pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

very rare maker, well donne!!!!!!!

It not mine yet, have to wait till tomorrow to see if I get it

Other collector in Germany no check back with seller so I get to add to my collection!

I never heard of this maker before. A.A. Schnitzler

Anyone know anything about this maker?

Can anyone help with the Regiment? A reserve Regiment?

Steve1871,

I think the marking on your bayonet is R.R. and not R.R. and Noll has R.R. as the Recruiting Depot of an Infantry Regiment.  

As far as A & A Schnitzler is concerned all I can add is that in German Bayonets Vol. IV Anthony Carter wrote that he had carried out a survey of Prussian I.S. M/71s and out of 373 examples a total of 8 were made by A & A Schnitzler, 4 in 1874 and 4 in 1875 so not quite the rarest out of the 15 manufacturers but getting close to that.  

Hope this is of interest.

Michael.

P.S. I know they are expensive and hard to get but I find Carter's 4 volume set invaluable so do see if you can find a set or at least Vol. IV which covers the regulation pattern sword bayonets 1860-1900.     

Thanks Michael Haselgrove!

only 8 out of 373 sounds RARE to me. You say not rarest? What Makers are more rare? I know Carters books, bought the 4 vol set, but no be home to get them till September

Steve,

Here's a photo of the table from Carter Vol. IV page 138.  Note these are the Prussian manufacturers only.  Excellent for you to have found a rare example!

Regards,

Michael. 

DSC04206.JPG

Great help there Michael,Thanks! You say that list of 15 makers is just for Prussian only? Bravaria,Wurttenberg ,Saxony,and others had different makers?

Yes, a very wonderful find there! Fully agree with all that Michael H. says. I don't have access to my books right now so cannot comment on whether Bavaria used ant different makers for the S.71. They certainly used Coppel ones, and also made their own, marked AMBERG.

I no remember seeing a Amberg? Guess they rare

• 5 months later...

If this help,  I have  from this maker one M1860, Fusilier bayonet made in 1861, W61.