Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal research - Help Required

AM87

Have come into possession of a Military Medal awarded to a soldier in the 4th Special Brigade. I believe he was awarded it for actions to do with the release of Poison Gas within the 17th Division.  Soldiers details are 129021 Pnr F Newberry RE.  Could anyone give me a steer as to where i could get some additional info behind the awarding of the medal etc?  Does anyone have a link to a war diary etc.

Edited by AM87

Hi

Do you have his LG entry ?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30172/supplement/6834/data.pdf

There are no citations available for M.M., the best bet is the local newspapers, they very often printed the citation.

For me, Special Brigades are very difficult to research, there is a thread running somewhere on the Forum about them. Hopefully someone will have some mor info.

Regards,

Graeme

Find my Past has a  Medical Record for Frederick. On 31/8/1916  Frederick and three other members of the 4 Special Brigade were admitted to 51st Field Ambulance having been wounded by a drift of their own gas. All were discharged on 5/9/1916 back to duty.

Bob

3 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

There are no citations available for M.M.

Graeme,

I'm curious - were there at one point MM citations that have since been lost/destroyed (Arnside St?), or was there never a centralized MM citation collection in the first place?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

Yes, the MM citations were apparently all lost in the Arnside Street fire (with much else, of course).  Why they couldn't have put a copy in each man's file, as the Canadians did, I don't know.

Clive

AM87

His medal was awarded for an incident on the 5/6 May 1917 which was a combined operation. G and P companies were supporting Z Company as carrying parties for bombs for the Livens projector attack on German positions near Bullecourt. The bombs, filled with high explosive were picked up from a dump on the outskirts of Vaulx-Vraucourt by ASC GS wagons of 7 and 58 Division Ammunition columns. The off-loading point was in a cutting near the the firing point. The wagons, mistakenly arrived at the drop-off point  all together, instead of having a gap between them.  As the troops started  to unload the wagons a German shell landed amongst them and propellant and bombs detonated. This caused other German guns to fire on the site. Many men took cover in "funk holes" which had been dug into the side of the cutting and quite a number were killed when these collapsed despite strenuous efforts to try and dig them out. P company lost 21 killed and 15 were wounded, Z Company 14 killed and G Company eight other ranks and one officer. All the fatalities are buried in Beaulencourt British Cemetery some 15 miles away from the site.

It is not possible to say exactly what he was awarded his medal for, but looking at the war diaries for the other two companies involved it is highly likely that it was awarded for tending to the injured and/or rescue attempts under fire .

I have attached two pages of the war diary, the second of which mentions your man, a photograph of the cutting and  some graves of those killed.

TR 

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0139.JPG

Edited by Terry_Reeves

To all of whom have contributed to answering my question - thanks! Special mention Terry_Reeves

9 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

You may wish to look at G and Z companies diaries to get a rounder picture of the operation.

TR

Terry

A bit more info about 4 Bn Special Brigade which you may find interesting and is of relevance to the thread.

Forum Member Dink 999 recently sent me a schedule which contained RE names that he had found on his (non RE ) research. He wondered if I was aware of them. One of them is 120568 Milnes. I checked FMP and 120568 Cpl A H Milnes of 4 Bn SB gave evidence to a Court of Enquiry held on 15/08/1916 into the circumstances of two men who were accidentally gassed the day before. The papers can be found in the Service Record of 112150 James Burns RE (one of the men gassed). Cpl Milnes also has a hospital admission. He is one of nine men from 4 Bn SB admitted to 51 FA on 30/08/1916 with gas drift. On the following page (referred to by Little Bob in post 3 - with the block of four men including F Newberry) there are nine more from 4 Bn SB admitted with gas drift on 31/08/1916. Ref MH 106/85. Would it be possible to show what was in the WD for 30 and 31/08. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Brian

Very little I'm afraid. "30.8.16. 10 pm.  Discharge upon 46 Divisional front. Casualties 3 OR wounded (1 at duty) : 22 OR wounded gas."

TR

Thanks Terry

There are 22 names in the Admissions Book for 51 FA (MH 106/85) from 4 Bn SB wounded gas drift admitted on 30 and 31/08/1916. 

Brian

EDIT: I checked the book again because my RE gf was wounded in early September 1916 and when I went through the books at Kew some years ago I did not do the ones for the Field Ambulances 14, 51, 66 and 139. No trace of my gf but 2 more names fron 4 Bn SB admitted on 03/09 and 22 more names from 4 Bn SB admitted on 05/09 all wounded gas drift. 

Edited by brianmorris547

On 25/07/2018 at 07:20, brianmorris547 said:

Thanks Terry

There are 22 names in the Admissions Book for 51 FA (MH 106/85) from 4 Bn SB wounded gas drift admitted on 30 and 31/08/1916. 

Brian

EDIT: I checked the book again because my RE gf was wounded in early September 1916 and when I went through the books at Kew some years ago I did not do the ones for the Field Ambulances 14, 51, 66 and 139. No trace of my gf but 2 more names fron 4 Bn SB admitted on 03/09 and 22 more names from 4 Bn SB admitted on 05/09 all wounded gas drift. 

Brian

Did you record the names?

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

11 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Brian

Did you record the names?

TR

Terry

I wrote down the names for the 22 admitted on 30 and 31/08 and copied the pages. I also have the 2 on 03/09. I was running out of time at the library yesterday when I noticed the 22 others on 05/09. I will send you a pm.

Brian

If you're really lucky you might find something on here: http://www.britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53195

(BTW I contribute to this thread with any I find for Black Country lads.)