Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Sherwood Foresters - 15 Sep 16

Gareth Davies

The 2nd Sherwood Foresters were in 18th Bde in 6th Div.  The Div was in action on 15 Sep 16 during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette but I don't know how much action the 2nd Sherwoods saw.  IS anyone able to have a quick look at the WD for me and let me know what they were up to please?

11 Sept moved to trenches around Arrow Head Copse.

13-17 Sept in action at The Quadrilateral.

British Battalions on the Somme.

John

Thanks John, I have the book.  I am hoping that the WD has a little more detail.

3 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

The 2nd Sherwood Foresters were in 18th Bde in 6th Div.  The Div was in action on 15 Sep 16 during the Battle of Flers-Courcelette but I don't know how much action the 2nd Sherwoods saw.  IS anyone able to have a quick look at the WD for me and let me know what they were up to please?

4 pages of diary for that day - they advanced as few hundred yards under fire and then consolidated a position behind the Leicester's. They also undertook some exploration of German trenches.

Craig

Ta.

Hi

I have this on my HD

GUILLEMONT

6.20 a.m. All fairly quiet last night. 1st Leicestershire Regt. passed through the Battalion to attack their 1st objective. The Battn. got into position in attack formation ready to advance and take over positions  captured and vacated by 1st Leicestershires 1 hour and 30 minutes after their 1st advance, in the following order:-

A Company with remainder of D Company in front line and a Two Platoon in front.

B and C Companies each two platoons strong on a one Platoon front in Support.

7.30 a.m. Battn Head Quarters moved up to where Battn were formed up. 7.50 a.m. Battn advanced 150 yards between Companies and immediately came under heavy Machine Gun fire from our right front. We had not gone far before we heard the Leicesters were held up by M.G. fire and unable to get on. After an advance of about 500 yards we found the Leicesters about 150 yards in front of us so dug in in rear of them. 8 a.m. Battn Head Quarters moved up to a Shell hole immediately in rear of the Battn.

8.15 a.m. Orders were sent to O.C. "A" Company to try and get in touch with the 9th Suffolks on our right. The Battn dug in in shell holes. 8.28 a.m. C.O. went up to O.C. Leicesters and asked if he required any support from us. No support was required. Both Battalions have suffered heavily. mostly from M.G. fire.

9.30 a.m. A Patrol was sent out from "A" Company to reconnoitre German trench running N. from Quadrilatral in front of Leicesters where men in our helmets could be seen on our left front. Patrols reported trench held by the Boche and heavily wired. N.C.O. i/c Patrol killed and 2 men wounded.

1.30 p.m. Two Platoons of "A" Company were sent forward to get in touch with the Guards on our left. All efforts to get in touch with 9th Suffolks on our right were unuccessful. 5.40 p.m. Orders were received from Brigade to dig in and remain where we are.

6.20 p.m. About 200 of the enemy were seen coming over the rise West of LESGOEUF, advancing in a North Westerly direction. We opened fire at 1,400 yards which seemed to be effective, this counter attack was broken up by the Guards on our left. 7 p.m. A large number of the enemy were seen advancing towards the Guards from LESBOEUF. 10 p.m. The Battn were heavily shelled during the day at short intervals. Sent a wire to Brigade asking for Major Street and Lt. Mellor to join from Transport.

Regards,

Graeme

That's great, thank you Graeme.

Don't worry, it more than gives me enough to go on.