Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with attestation paper, please.

Twiglet

I've just started to research my great grandfather's side of the family - and my cousin has found the attached.  Could someone explain what an Attestation Paper is please?  And is that "Train to Axe B?!"

Any information on his WW1 service gratefully received, (we think there was one).

Thank you.

Attestation W Card.jpg

1 hour ago, Twiglet said:

Any information on his WW1 service gratefully received, (we think there was one).

Yes there was WW1 service.

The picture is taken from the Royal Artillery Attestation Books from when new Army Numbers were introduced in August 1919.

William Card enlisted as a Regular on August 28, 1913 on a 6/6 basis - 6 years with the colours and 6 years in reserve. His number was then 74237.

His 6 year service with the RFA was due to expire on August 27, 1919, but he was still given an Army number of 1010139 as a reservist.

He was called up from the reserves from April 11, 1921 to June 7, 1921, I think due to a miners' strike.

The Attestation Book is very useful in that it also shows he served in France to 1917 then Italy in 1917 and 1918 before returning to France.

This will limit the possible units he served with in the RFA. You should be able to find a medal card for him under his old number.

This will give a date of entry to France (sometime in 1915) and help pinpoint a unit. I'll let you find this detail yourself, so do report back.

1 hour ago, Twiglet said:

Could someone explain what an Attestation Paper is please?

This would be the signed statement on enlistment. For example, giving details of age, address and former service.

William Card was in the 8th Bn. Essex Regt. (Territorial Force) from April 4, 1913 to August 27, 1913 prior to joining the RFA.

You lovely, lovely people!  Thank you so much.  That gives me so much more information than I had.  

Will look for that medal card now David.

Hi Dai, thank you, I have.  Have been doing this blessed tree for over 10 years now, and have successfully winkled out a fair bit of info re two great uncles on the other side of the family (again, this site and the people on it were invaluable in starting my quest off), so me, along with the cousin who has access to the sites I don't, are both on the case re the old Grandad. :ph34r:

(Now if anyone can help me with Indian service records going back to the 1800s, please shout!  :blink:)

Hard to read but it says he landed in France with 28th Brigade RFA on August 19, 1914 - earlier than mentioned in the Attestation Book. There is a 1914 Star Medal Roll that makes these facts clearer. 28th Brigade RFA was in 5th Division - see here - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/5th-division/

Looks like he remained with 5th Division, which went to Italy, but not with 28th Brigade RFA which left that Division. The other brigades he could have been with were 15th and 27th, alternatively he could have joined the Divisional Ammunition Column or even the Trench Mortar Batteries. There doesn't seem to be a surviving service record.

The red writing is a note about being deleted from the 1914-15 Star Roll, it may not have been obvious that he landed in France much earlier.

Edited by David Porter
Additional information