Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where were No. 6 Squadron RAF stationed in September 1918

Mark Gardiner

Carrying out research on Lt. Stuart Harvey Scott, who was killed in action on 29 September 1918 while serving as a pilot with No. 6 Squadron. I have tried to find what airfield the squadron were based at on that date but been frustrated so far. Assume it would be somewhere in the Amiens area as he is buried near where he fell at Unicorn Cemetery, Vendhuile.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mark Gardiner said:

Carrying out research on Lt. Stuart Harvey Scott, who was killed in action on 29 September 1918 while serving as a pilot with No. 6 Squadron. I have tried to find what airfield the squadron were based at on that date but been frustrated so far. Assume it would be somewhere in the Amiens area as he is buried near where he fell at Unicorn Cemetery, Vendhuile.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

The usual Jefford source (RAF Squadrons) has No.6 Sqn. arriving at MOISLAINS on 27 September 1918 until moving to LONGAVESNES on 6 October 1918.

The No. 6 Sqn. 'Historical Notes' (TNA, AIR 1/687/21/20/6) states:

"The squadron was next involved in the eastward sweep of the victorious armies.  On the 27th September it moved up to Moislains passing once again to the 15th (Corps) Wing of the V Brigade."

As you no doubt know much of the work they were involved in from August was in support of the Cavalry Corps as No. 6 Sqn. was their dedicated squadron.  Some details of the loss of Scott are also included in Trevor Henshaw's 'TSTB II', page 230.

I hope that is of use.

Mike

Graeme / Mike,

Thank you very much for providing additional information. It is much appreciated!