Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt John Henry Cumberlege (1885-1929), IARO S&TC

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF members,

John Henry Cumberlege was born in India, son of Major H. Cumberlege, Bengal Infy., and educated at Felsted.

1904, 2Lt 4/Essex Militia, then to Darjeeling (Trooper, North Bengal Mounted Rifles), and Assistant, Creswell & Co., tea merchants.

War service IARO, 1914 to ca. 1920: His 15 Trio and IGS Afgh NWF 1919 awarded for service with the Supply & Transport Corps. 

Oct 1923 sailed London - South Africa. May 1929 living at Gil Gil, Kenya, but died 19 May 1929 aged only 44. J. H. Cumberlege was buried at Nakuru, near Nairobi.

I seek his photograph, aka Image: can any GWF aficionado oblige - and/or add details, please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Mark1959,

Many thanks for your efforts: much appreciated!

For the 44-year old John Henry Cumberlege, Kenya proved to be the White Man's Grave...

Apparently his family were quite distinguished. I have not tried Felsted School as yet, but I know from past experience that they often have photographs of the Boys, but no names!

Any Image found will be rewarded with a Goodie from my bookshelves - without fail!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Any relation to Charlie Cumberlege, who died in 2016? He commanded 1DWR.

Dear Robin and Mark,

Thanks for your on-going input: much appreciated!

I have yet to see his entry in the IARO book held at the BL. This may give me a new clue.

Meanwhile, this is what his medals look like...

Kindest regards,

Kim.cumbl.jpg.395cad31ba94112178caccefff03d627.jpg

Dear All,

Dick Flory has helpfully told me that the "Alumni Felstediensis" of 1951 shows John Henry Cumberlege as a Capt., RASC, during the Great War, and indicates that he was accidentally killed, at Nakuru, Kenya on 18 May 1929...

Now to find that elusive Image!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All, and Robin,

Apparently there exists a 'Cumberlege Family Collection', from which a naval Cumberlege with DSO and posthumous Bar, was pictured.

Perhaps the elusive, accidentally killed in Kenya, John Henry Cumberlege could be found therein?

Or in such handy tools for example as Ancestry & Co...?

The father of Indian-born J. H. Cumberlege, Major H. (Henry?) Cumberlege, late Bengal Infantry, might also feature - says this Aussie, clutching at straws momentarily, I'm afraid!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All, and Robin,

Apparently there exists a 'Cumberlege Family Collection', from which a naval Cumberlege with DSO and posthumous Bar, was pictured.

Perhaps the elusive, accidentally killed in Kenya, John Henry Cumberlege could be found therein?

Or in such handy tools for example as Ancestry & Co...?

The father of Indian-born J. H. Cumberlege, Major H. (Henry?) Cumberlege, late Bengal Infantry, might also feature - says this Aussie, clutching at straws momentarily, I'm afraid!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Morning Kim

I think this is the site you are referring to. Sadly no photograph of John Henry (I have been looking!)

http://cumberbatch.org/index.php/people/173-john-henry-cumberlege-1884-1929

There doesn't appear to a reference to his father (a calculated year of birth is quoted on the site) so if you have information on him the site author may well be interested in hearing from you?

There are some extensive pictures of a naval Cumberlege but you may be more interested in this Great War DSO recipient

http://cumberbatch.org/index.php/people/28-cleland-bulstrode-cumberlege

Regards and best wishes

David

Edited by DavidOwen
added DSO link

Dear David,

Many thanks for looking for an Image of the elusive John Henry Cumberlege (son of Major Henry Cumberlege, Bengal Infy.).

C. B. Cumberlege, DSO was also born in India, but his father was Colonel A. B. Cumberlege - perhaps a close relation?

J. H. Cumberlege's Birth Certificate has been beamed to me, as has his Medal Index Card. The latter is yet another example of there being absolutely no reference to his 15 Star (I have found this on other IA cards, too - and it can be misleading!). He joined the IARO on 27 Nov 1914 and his 15 Star is named as a 2Lt., IARO attd. S&T Corps.

On 28 Jan 1916 - having meanwhile qualified for his 1914-15 Star - he joined 5 Divisional Supply Company as a Supply and Transport Officer, 5th Class.

Capt Cumberlege was still shown in the Jan 1920 Indian Army List. By Oct 1923 he was on his way, from London, to South Africa (in May 1923 he was living in Gil Gil, Kenya) - perhaps still in the employ of Cresswell & Co., Tea Merchants, with whom he seems to have been 1920-23 in Darjeeling.

The Birth Certificate shows John Henry to have been born on 24 Jan 1885 to Major Henry Cumberlege, Bengal Inf., and (illegible), his wife - at Deruda, India. 

I will try the Cheshire Military Museum for a possible 1904-05 Image as a 2Lt., 4/Cheshires. If you don't ask, you don't get (as JMAT used to say!).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

When I get home I will see what I have on the Cumberleges. I have quite a bit about one branch but alas no photos. One of the Richmonds in an earlier thread married a Cumberlege so I followed that branch quite a bit.

The Cumberleges were India at least as early as the first decade of the 19th Century. If I remember rightly there were two spellings of the name and I was never sure if they were the same family.

RM

Dear RM,

Super! Your assistance is more than welcome.

I have yet to contact Felsted School, but have sent off my request to the Cheshire Regtl Museum (John Henry Cumberlege was a 4/Cheshires Militia subaltern, 1904-05).

Not only the IARO, but also the Supply & Transport Corps is difficult to research. His IARO commission was not only in 1914, but to the Cavalry, interestingly enough. My British Library researcher (I live in sw Germany), will have to beam me the J. H. Cumberlege entry from the IARO book(s), which are in the open shelves...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

56 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear RM,

Super! Your assistance is more than welcome.

I have yet to contact Felsted School, but have sent off my request to the Cheshire Regtl Museum (John Henry Cumberlege was a 4/Cheshires Militia subaltern, 1904-05).

Not only the IARO, but also the Supply & Transport Corps is difficult to research. His IARO commission was not only in 1914, but to the Cavalry, interestingly enough. My British Library researcher (I live in sw Germany), will have to beam me the J. H. Cumberlege entry from the IARO book(s), which are in the open shelves...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

In the meantime, have you had a look at the FIBIS (Families in British India Society) online database?

RM

• Admin
20 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

In the meantime, have you had a look at the FIBIS (Families in British India Society) online database?

RM

I did and surprisingly found nothing, but may have had the search parameters wrong, so will take another look.

Dear Kim, 

I like many have been googling away to find JHC....but no such luck as yet.

I have yet to do the full genealogical back story, but looking at another old Felstedian Peter Faithfull Cumberlege who sadly passes in 2014/15, has a Wife and an address seemingly still active according to 192.com based off a 2017 electoral roll.

You never know!

Regards

Andy

Screenshot_20180723-195357.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Dear Andy,

Super! Many thanks for that.

You can be sure that a diplomatically-couched letter to Mrs Cumberlege will go off straight-away! It is always best to go directly to the Family. 

Meanwhile, I have sent a message to Felsted School, fingers crossed. 

Furthermore, despite 2Lt J. H. Cumberlege's 1914 IARO (Cavalry) commission, he was sent almost immediately to the Supply and Transport Corps (IA List Apr 1915). 

Interestingly, John Henry's father was Colonel Henry Owen Cumberlege, erstwhile Commandant of 33rd Regiment of Bengal Infantry: Afghan War, 1878-9.- Medal; Burmese War, 1886-8.- Operations of the 3rd and 4th Brigades, etc.,- Medal with clasp. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Perhaps someone has access to an archive holding, say, the (off-topic) May 1929 "East African Standard", or similar newspaper.

The local papers may well have carried an article about the perhaps well-known erstwhile Capt John Henry Cumberlege's premature and apparently accidental death?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

I now see that on p. 27 of the July 1915 Indian Army List, the then 2nd-Lt. J. H. Cumberlege, was listed with Commands (Southern Army), 5th (Mhow) Division.

At the time, he was 'Officer in charge of Supplies', at Mhow. 

5th (Mhow) Division remained in India during the Great War - however, 'some of its units were transferred to serve with other formations. The cavalry units formed the 5th (Mhow) Cavalry Brigade in the 1st Indian Cavalry Division and served in France and Egypt.' (Wikipedia).

This could well explain Cumberlege's 1914-15 Star, and is a good clue, inasmuch as the Supply and Transport Corps is difficult to research, vis-a-vis Infantry Regiments...

Kindest regards,

Kim.133863434_CumberlegeatMhowIAListJul1915.jpg.fc93e47e61b1b17bf19265ac467b1466.jpg

Dear All,

Sad to say that the Cheshire Museum have no 1904 portrait of their erstwhile 2Lt J. H. Cumberlege. 

Jumping from 1905 to 1915. If, as one assumes, Lieut Cumberlege qualified for his 1914-15 Star in France, attached 5th (Mhow) Cavalry Brigade - it must be remembered that Cumberlege joined the IARO (Cavalry) in 1914 - he may well have gone to Egypt in March 1918 with the Indian elements, when the Bde was broken up in France. 

Tantalizingly, I have seen his medal group advertised in the past, with an MiD oakleaf (since removed). One wonders which War Diary would be the most promising to peruse...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Still no Image...

In the 1916 IA List Cumberlege is only shown as an S&T C Officer (attached). There is no clue alongside his name, as to where he had been appointed.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

The son of the late Mrs Vionee Cumberlege has volunteered to look at the Cumberlege family papers in due course. If a photo of J. H. Cumberlege emerges, I will be thrilled to bits!

In the meantime, my British Library researcher scanned the 2Lt J. H. Cumberlege entry in the IARO Book.

It seems to me, as if he did brief training with the South Lancs.,1184437645_IAROBook1914J.H.Cumberlege.thumb.jpg.bf76dbe20cf05bf009498b1cd254e50d.jpg before being shunted off to the Supply and Transport Corps.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

It has since been confirmed, that officers of the IARO were trained with The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment), 1st Battalion (late 40th Foot). 

The battalion arrived in India in 1903 (from Natal), and remained in India during the Great War - stationed in Quetta.

One wonders if 2nd Lieutenant J. H. Cumberlege would have been noted in the War Diary of the South Lancs (1914/15)?

Kindesr regards,

Kim.

Dear Charlie,

Thanks for your encouragement, which is much appreciated.

I basically collect to the IARO, which - thanks to the non-availibility of service papers in most cases - are a difficult lot to research.

However, in the past I have been able to find Images of even these elusive types of Officers, so why not John Henry Cumberlege? 

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

I now actually have the medals - but still no Image, sadly...

The naming on his 15 Star is of interest. (I attach as a comparison the amusing 15 Star to A. Lamb, Military Farms Dept., which shows a similar naming for the S. & T. Corps.)

Kindest regards,

Kim.64088990_15StarnamingIAROSTCorps.jpg.983cda023413972fad5524a5e7b11055.jpg2000746941_A.A.LambMilyDairyFarm15Starrev.jpg.7acdb8cbccdf67d183ecf05f7853ee2d.jpg