Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying a cap badge

PeterThorn

I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify the cap badge on attached photo. To me it looks like a fusilier regiment but I am no expert and have been unable to narrow it down further. I recently came into passion of some family photos and the soldier in the picture may be a great uncle. If I can identify the regiment I may then be able to confirm my hunch.

Thanks in advance, Peter

Untitled-1.jpg.0dce11c78846d0e5c50530831a27c4cd.jpg

Royal Fusiliers? Does your family have connections to London?

Yep, Royal Fusiliers is correct. Shape is right.

Chris

royal_fusiliers_cap_badge.jpg

He could also be ‘London Regiment’ in one of four units (1st to 4th - more if you count 2nd and 3rd Line battalions) of that very large regiment of 27 units (confusingly numbered to 28) that we’re aligned with the Royal Fusiliers and thus wore the exact same cap badge, but different shoulder titles.  This can often be confused because of the Royal Fusiliers secondary title as the City of London Regiment, but the latter were regulars, whereas the entire London Regiment were Territorial Force citizen soldiers.  I hope that helps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Robin - this branch of my family come from London so the Royal Fusiliers fits. 

Dragoon - your clear photo does seem match that from my photo. When searching for this soldier I identified several possibilities with the same name belonging to other Fusilier regiments. I was fairly sure it was a Fusilier regiment but wasn't sure which one.

Frogsmile - I must admit I got a bit confused with the Royal Fusiliers and City of London Regiment. 

So gentlemen with your help I think I have identified the person in the photo as my great uncle and now can put a name to the photo - Albert William Thorn. He joined the 14 Btn Royal Fusiliers then transferred to the R.A.S.C. in December 1918.

Regards, Peter

ps apologies to the moderator for originally putting this topic in the wrong section.

Edited by PeterThorn

16 hours ago, PeterThorn said:

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Robin - this branch of my family come from London so the Royal Fusiliers fits. 

Dragoon - your clear photo does seem match that from my photo. When searching for this soldier I identified several possibilities with the same name belonging to other Fusilier regiments. I was fairly sure it was a Fusilier regiment but wasn't sure which one.

Frogsmile - I must admit I got a bit confused with the Royal Fusiliers and City of London Regiment. 

So gentlemen with your help I think I have identified the person in the photo as my great uncle and now can put a name to the photo - Albert William Thorn. He joined the 14 Btn Royal Fusiliers then transferred to the R.A.S.C. in December 1918.

Regards, Peter

ps apologies to the moderator for originally putting this topic in the wrong section.

Just for your interest and clarification Peter, the 14th battalion was a war-raised ‘Service Battalion’ of Kitchener’s New Armies, and so neither regular, nor Territorial.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Just for your interest and clarification Peter, the 14th battalion was a war-raised ‘Service Battalion’ of Kitchener’s New Armies, and so neither regular, nor Territorial.

I've been doing a little bit of internet searching on the 14th battalion.

Oct 1914 formed as a service battalion.

Apr 1915 became a reserve battalion.

Sep 1916 converted to 31st Training battalion.

My understanding of this history is that it was never deployed on active service and most troops within its ranks would have been trained then passed onto active service battalions when trained. I would assume from that my great uncle most likely would have moved onto another battalion. Would you agree with that conclusion?

13 minutes ago, PeterThorn said:

I've been doing a little bit of internet searching on the 14th battalion.

Oct 1914 formed as a service battalion.

Apr 1915 became a reserve battalion.

Sep 1916 converted to 31st Training battalion.

My understanding of this history is that it was never deployed on active service and most troops within its ranks would have been trained then passed onto active service battalions when trained. I would assume from that my great uncle most likely would have moved onto another battalion. Would you agree with that conclusion?

Yes, that would be the normal course of events Peter, although some men did not make the necessary grade for front line service for a variety of reasons and were sent to Garrison battalions, or home service only Labour companies/battalions.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile, He was awarded the Victory Medal from which I assume he was posted on active service. I don't think it was given to troops on Home Service.

That Albert William Thorn's service record can be found on Ancestry.  He had a sister Mabel Burridge of Mitcham Road Tooting to cross check it is him.  Served overseas 16 July 1916 to 26 August 1918.

Max

3 hours ago, PeterThorn said:

Frogsmile, He was awarded the Victory Medal from which I assume he was posted on active service. I don't think it was given to troops on Home Service.

Yes that makes sense Peter (as confirmed by Max above).

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you Max and Frogsmile. I've got some good leads there. The married name Burridge is interesting as I have Mable married to someone else.

Best regards, Peter

• 1 year later...

I thought maybe round off this discussion with my conclusions, which I am fairly confident are correct.

The photo is almost definitely Albert William Thorn. From his military service records I have.

12 Dec 1915: Attested.

1 Apr 1916: Mobilised and posted 14th Btn, Royal Fusiliers.
16 Apr 1916: Posted BEF and 10th Btn, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) "Stockbrokers" battalion.
17 Aug 1917: Posted depot.
12 Nov 1918: Posted 4th Btn, Royal Fusiliers.
13 Dec 1918: Permanently & compulsorily transferred to RASC. Reason extingencies of the service.
24 Sep 1919: Transferred to Class "A" Army Reserve on demobilisation.
26 Aug 1919: Transferred to Crystal Palace Dispersal Station.

Thanks for the update Peter, that seems quite a typical course of events for a who joined a service battalion, served honourably and survived the war.