Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Charles Guy Bolitho (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers)

algrowen

Morning all. I have recently come across an officers belt named to a ‘Walter Charles (Chas) Guy Bolitho’. Now being a Cornishman myself I thought he may have been from here in Cornwall. But with some searching online he’s from Hampshire. Born in 1882 and died in 1925. Where I struggle is finding out about his military career during WW1. I found in the London Gazzette he was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in 1901 into the 5th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and promoted again to lieutenant in 1903..........that’s as far as I can go. 

Can anyome direct me into his WW1 records or inform me about what medals he earned and where? And what was his cause of death! Was it from war injuries ?

Thank you in advance

Al

Edited by algrowen
Typo

Hi Al,

His medal card is on Ancestry - shows Captain then Major Royal Inns Fus.

BWM, Victory, & 1915 Star - Gallipoli  8th August 1915 - claimed his medals 23-3-22 request from O/C 3rd Reserve Battalion Depot, Innis Fus Omagh

Address for medals to be sent: The Officer Commanding R. Innis Fus, The Barracks, Omagh Co. Tyrone, Ireland

He was in the 1922 Army List as a Captain, Royal Innis. Fus. 

Hope that helps,

Dave Swarbrick

With a date of entry of 8th August 1915, one would assume her served in either the 5th or 6th (Service) Battalion of the Inniskillings, which both landed (as part of the 10th (Irish) Division on the 7th and 8th), although a reinforcement to the 1st battalion is possible.

If he was commissioned into the 5th battalion in 1901, that presumably would be a Militia commission (i.e. not through Sandhurst)

Hi Steven, yes 5th Bn. And Barry that’s incredible, I couldn’t find a picture of him anywhere. 

Thank you you all for your replies. 

Al