Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mauser M1870 / M1881 U shaped magazine

Marco

Spotted this concept rifle in the Wehrtehnische Studiensammlung, Koblenz. An effort to increase the maazine capacity of the Mauser. In the end the magazine did not make it, being expensive to produce and high jamming rate.

MIL0977-50.jpg

Looks like it'd bark knuckles operating the bolt, too...

Britain had a very similar concept for the Martini-Henry, with a magazine that clipped on the side. The soldier still had to hand load each round, only the ten or so rounds in the magazine were more readily to hand. Quite a lot of these were made and issued although they are quite rare now. I have a WW1 bayonet fencing rifle built from one of these.

Cheers

RT

Ian at Forgotten Weapons did a video on one of these a while back.  Lots of closeups, very cool.

https://youtu.be/E7B1RqiQAdM

Hello MARCO

The M.71 Rifle had a large amount of inventors creating prototypes for this rifle , there were at least 3 different "horseshoe" or "U" shaped magazines submitted or at least patented in hopes of a winner. I no have my info, books ect. With me but one of these horseshoe mags was made by Ludwig and Lowe, there were also verticle Gravity fed going strait up, in line, another in line verticle but off set at the 2 o' clock position, a side mount, box magazine and a

strange (unknown/not published) one by dreyse which has a steel mag well, in line going down for I would say maybe 8 or so rounds, a strange curving arm is at bottom, to push rounds up. 

Also, there is a 7 volume set of British patents that show about

7 or 9 different patents for converting the Gew.71 to a repeater.

Between Mauser, Ludwig and Lowe, few other German, with Austrain

Dreyse,Steyr , British and Belgian inventers, I would say maybe 12 to 15 experimental mag's were created, again I think only 3 types of Horseshoe, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2018 at 16:40, Chasemuseum said:

Britain had a very similar concept for the Martini-Henry, with a magazine that clipped on the side. The soldier still had to hand load each round, only the ten or so rounds in the magazine were more readily to hand. Quite a lot of these were made and issued although they are quite rare now. I have a WW1 bayonet fencing rifle built from one of these.

Cheers

RT

Also made for the Peabody-Martini!

Peabody-Martini-1873pic3 copy.jpg

• 2 months later...