Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Cemeteries near Bullecourt

torokina

Hi

Is anyone able to advise of the original locations of German field cemeteries around Bullecourt?

Such as at Ecoust, Noreuil and Vraucourt.

Where there any at Bullecourt or Riencourt?

Thanks
Torokina

The history of this cemetery has the most:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/31200/h.a.c.-cemetery,-ecoust-st.-mein/

You should also look at:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/32805/ecoust-military-cemetery,-ecoust-st.-mein/

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/25001/ecoust-st.-mein-british-cemetery/

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/68003/vraucourt-copse-cemetery,-vaulx-vraucourt/

You can find the details of the site locations on the COG-BR documents. For the main one where I would start the CWGC gives you the names as a clue. You can then look them up (see this example I did a few days ago for another two cemeteries):

THis is a good starting list courtesy of the CWGC. Most important is to have the CEMETERY LIST that David Avery of the CWGC provided. I have put three (3) versions of that on our CEFSG shared MediaFire site but you only need the PDF version. David kindly provided this to the CEFSG after we shared our compilation of all the coded Canadian battlefield cemeteries. Those are not on that list but they are in this folder. Between the COG-BR documents and the DAL (David Avery List) you can find most of them.

Richard from Canada

The enemy positions from Doignies to Henin-sur-Cojeul, including the village of Ecoust, were captured on 2 April 1917, by the 4th Australian and 7th Divisions. This cemetery was begun by the 7th Division after the battle, when 27 of the 2nd H.A.C., who fell (with one exception) on the 31st March or the 1st April, were buried in what is now Plot I, Row A. After the German counter-attack near Lagnicourt on the 15th April, twelve Australian gunners were buried in the same row. Rows B, C and part of D were made in August and September 1918, when the ground had been recaptured by the 3rd Division after five months enemy occupation. The 120 graves thus made were the original H.A.C. Cemetery; but after the Armistice graves were added from the battlefields of Bullecourt and Ecoust and from a number of smaller burial grounds, including:- BARASTRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained 284 German graves, 46 French, and those of 39 soldiers from the United Kingdom, four from New Zealand and one from Australia. BULLECOURT CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of two airmen from the United Kingdom, and BULLECOURT GERMAN CEMETERY (South of the village, just beyond the railway line), in which 200 German soldiers and 30 from the United Kingdom were buried. Bullecourt was the scene of very fierce fighting from the 3rd to the 17th May 1917, on the 21st March 1918, and on the 31st August and the 1st September 1918. CAGNICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY GERMAN EXTENSION, which contained 333 German and six Russian graves, and those of 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia. CROISILLES GERMAN CEMETERIES, both on the road to Ecoust, which contained, in total, the graves of 505 German soldiers, one French, and eleven from the United Kingdom. EPINOY CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of three airmen from the United Kingdom and one from Canada, as well as 136 German graves. The church was destroyed in the War. IMPERIAL CEMETERY, 800 metres West of HENDECOURT-LESCAGNICOURT, which contained the graves of ten soldiers and two sailors from the United Kingdom and seven Canadian soldiers, who fell in August-September 1918. INCHY-EN-ARTOIS CHURCHYARD, which contained the grave of one R.N.A.S. officer. LECLUSE CHURCHYARD, which contained the grave of one R.F.C. officer. L'HOMME MORT CEMETERY No.2, ECOUST-ST. MEIN (between L'Homme Mort and Vraucourt), which contained the graves of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in August-September 1918. MARQUION GERMAN CEMETERY, in the village of Marquion. It contained the graves of 211 German soldiers, eight Russian, and 17 from the United Kingdom. MORY-ECOUST ROAD CEMETERIES No.1 AND No.2, ECOUST-ST. MEIN, both very near the road. They were made in March, April and May 1917, and they contained the graves of 63 soldiers from the United Kingdom (almost all 8th and 9th Devons and R.F.A.) and one from Australia. QUEANT GERMAN CEMETERY, at the North-East exit of the village, which contained the graves of 22 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in March, 1918. VILLERS-LES-CAGNICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of 25 German soldiers and two from the United Kingdom. There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over half are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom and 14 from Australia, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of 34 soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 5,801 square metres and is enclosed by a low red brick wall.

Thanks Richard in Canada

I will look into what you've responded and investigate further.

I was aware there was a large patch of German burials in Ecoust CWGC Cem. Just wasn't sure if this was their original burial site. Some trench maps have the Cemetery marked, but I was unable to distinguish if this was the locals' cemetery, and was added to?

Wow - thanks for the David Avery list! never seen something like this before!

Thanks again!

Edited by torokina

The German cemetery at Ecoust Saint Main was adjacent to the communal cemetery and the British Cemetery was next to that. Following the removal of the German cemetery there is now an odd-looking gap between the communal and British cemeteries. 

On 19/07/2018 at 23:56, torokina said:

I was aware there was a large patch of German burials in Ecoust CWGC Cem. Just wasn't sure if this was their original burial site. Some trench maps have the Cemetery marked, but I was unable to distinguish if this was the locals' cemetery, and was added to?

There are two different cemeteries in Ecoust:

The Ecoust Military Cemetery, started by the British in April 1917 and the already existing Communal cemetery.

The Germans used the Communal cemetery for some burials and also added mass graves close to the British cemetery.

See Google map below, the communal cemetery is on the left.

219345560_Googlemap.png.3386aeded5d060c75b30219108049428.png

I have some more info on these if this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Luc.