Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice wanted re visiting CWGC cemetery, and battlefield in August

Jane1918

Hi, Am struggling a bit to search the forum (keep getting errors!) and wondered if anyone can give me any advice?

I've done a lot of research on my Great Uncle, Joseph West, of the 6th Battn York and Lancaster Regt (Private 53571) , who was killed at co-ordinates 51.C.27.d.6.6 on 8th November 1918.  It's a field in Hon-Hergies.

I'm visiting his grave at Cross Roads Cemetery, Fontaine-au-Bois in August and have a few questions - are you allowed to leave ordinary flowers and a note on a grave, or only the little poppy crosses or poppy wreaths?  If you can't leave your own flowers and a note, where do I get the little cross from?

Also, re the field where he was killed - looking on Google Maps from the Gt War British Trench Map Coordinate Convertor, it's at the junction of two roads - neighbouring fields look farmed, but this I presume was left to grow wild over time.  I would like to leave flowers in the field but I'm unsure how to access it/who it's owned by.  May have to leave some in the enclosing hedgerow or something. Has anybody any ideas?

We're staying near Lens, and thought as Vimy is close-by we could visit the trenches and tunnels that are there - is this a good idea to get a feel of what it was like?  I have come across a few posts about it saying that the Canadian students aren't very clued up on the history of it.  Or can anyone recommend a suitable experience nearby?  My friend can't walk very well so don't really want to walk a great distance once we've parked.

Any advice would be really well-received!

Best Wishes, Jane

You can leave ordinary flowers and a note on the grave. In time, when the flowers die off, and when the note deteriorates, the gardeners will remove them.

I would leave a tribute at the edge of the field, if I were you.

Vimy is interesting, at least, moving even. The memorial is spectacular. The guides are enthusiastic and passionate about their country and its history, but they are not historians and can only repeat what they have been told.

A good guide for the day could be beneficial if you want to get the maximum out of your day.

Ken

Hi Jane and welcome

I would personally just stick with the small wooden cross.

flowers will die and get thrown away when looking a mess.

and Ive seen wreathes blowing around the cemetery.

as for the fields may not be a problem but farmers are generally sympathetic but there is the odd exception.

things to remember when visiting. don't drink coffee!! you will not find many toilets around cemeteries , the exception being Thiepval and the odd communal cemetery.

keep valuables locked in the boot of the car.

not all cemeteries are wheelchair friendly.

plan stops for refreshments and food there are not many around .

there are quite a few threads on the forum regarding visiting and the main web site http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battlefields/

On a practical note, Vimy has a brand new visitor center with clean toilets, not always the easiest thing to find on the battlefields.  There is also a magnificent memorial to visit.

Poppy crosses are available from The British Legion website.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...