Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Markham Clarckson border regiment

Luca

Hi All 

I'm looking for records of a family member Richard Markham Clarckson born in in Ardwick Manchester 1882/83 and when he was seventeen joined the 5th Manchester battalion in 1900 (service number: 7037) not sure how long he served for but left before the start of ww1. I was wondering if there are any ww1 records for him as with him being an ex soldier I would have thought he would have re-joined at the out break of ww1.

Thanks Luca

Hi,

Have you looked on Ancestry and or Findmypast for his papers? I’d expect his Manchester Regiment papers to be available online.

Have you got some indication that he served in The Border Regiment?

There is a Medal Index Card for a R M Clarkson who served in Border Regiment. There are a number of R Clarkson service records on Ancestry but it’s against forum rules to post them. You can get free access to Ancestry and FMP at your local library if you don’t wish to take out a trial membership.

Steve

Hi Steve 

I have found some documents for a Richard Markham Clarkson border regiment but nothing else like when he re-joined where he served and what battalion of the borders he was in.

Thanks Luca

Hi,

Your best bet would be to look for soldiers with Border Regiment numbers close to his and see if any records survive for those men as they will have followed his initial route into the Army - if no service records then Silver War Badge records give a date of enlistment.

Not all pre war soldiers re enlisted on the outbreak of war and sometimes those that did were speedily discharged on health grounds -some of those were conscripted as medical standards were reviewed. On the other hand your relative would be 32 in 1914 and perhaps married with a family and not in a position to re enlist. Do you know where he was living on 1911 census?

5th Militia Battalion Manchester Regiment saw service in South Africa during the Boer War - have you looked for him on the Boer War  Medal records on Ancestry?

Wikiwand says - 

“The 5th (Militia) battalion (until February 1900 known as the 3rd battalion) was embodied in May 1900, disembodied in October that year, and re-embodied in May 1901 for service in South Africa, for which it embarked the following month.[15] More than 800 officers and men returned to Southampton in July 1902, following the end of the war.”

Steve

Looks to be as if he was most likely born 1/2/1884. Birth reg is in that quarter and his death in Stockport in 1972 says that (26/9/1972 - probate) . The 1939 register has someone - most likely him - born 2/1/1883. Emily his wife is there - again with a slightly wrong DoB.  as is Thelma - their daughter. He is baptised St, Andrews, Manchester on 9/3/1884 - suggests the 1/2/1884 date more likely. Parents Ezekiel and Mary Ann. Father was a Publican.

He attested in 5th Manchesters 24/5/1900. Purchased his way out on 19/1/1901 for the princely sum of £1.On attestation he claims to be 17y 3m old. Working as a Butcher. 5ft 3in and a mighty 8st 1lb. So did not go to S Africa.

Nothing so far regarding a WW1 chap I can pin to him.

Edited by Mark1959

Hi Luca,

If he were to be 32748 Richard Markham Clarkson who served overseas with 9/Border Regiment (medal roll link on Ancestry), then looking at the first few 'near number' Border Regiment hits of surviving service records from this search you appear to get:

32704 Dawson - enlisted 27.03.1917

32722 Davidson - posted 29.03.1917

32747 Beddows - mobilised from Army Reserve 03.04.1917

32759 Elderkin - service from 04/05.04.1917

32799 Carroll - called up 10.04.1917

Regards

Chris

Hi,

9th Border were a Pioneer Battalion who served in Salonika.

Steve