Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Inniskillen Fus

graeme

Hello everyone. can someone please outline the movements of 1st Batt Royal Inniskillen Fus . I partially know 1912 North West frontier, then 1914 East Africa, then France maybe. Where the Balkans in there somewhere? 

thanks in advance

many thanks Alf. Just checked out the 1st Batt

I,m very curious as my granddads index card shows "threatre of war 4a Africa, date of entry 3.11.14"

has he been attached to another reg.?

which reg was in East Africa in 1914?

2nd Loyal North Lancs was the sole British unit there.  Does that figure on the medal card or, more likely, on the 1914 1915 Star roll which I think he should appear on?  

Max

Edited by MaxD
to correct error

I tried to attach a photo of his card but won't allow me . 

His star entry reads this,  handwritten '15' beside the word star. In the column roll - think it's j or g. /2/3C2 

He may have been attached to the King's African Rifles, especially if he was an officer or senior NCO.

Ron

Private soldier, no indication  of KAR or S Lancs on medal records.  Number is a 1912/13 enlistment in R Inniskilling Fus. 

Attachment to S Lancs perhaps (both in India in 1914) or stopping off in East Africa en route from India to UK counted as entering theatre of war?

Not sure anything other than speculation possible without his record.

Max

Many thanks. He enlisted in 1912 in Belfast for 7 years. First post "Home" for 1year 47 days. Then India

Edited by graeme

• 1 month later...

A bit late to this thread but George McCaig's entry into theatre date of 3rd November 1914 is consistent with the arrival of Indian Expeditionary Force 'B' at Tanga and I would assume therefore that he was attached to one of the units that that Force comprised of.

He may well have been attached in a medical capacity as he was in East Africa in that capacity when he was Mentioned in Despatches under "Medical Services" and listed as McCaig, No. 10357 Pte. (Nursing Orderly) G., R. Innis. Fus. in the London Gazette #30560, 7th March 1918. (M.I.D. was for services rendered in East Africa between 20th January 1917 and 30th May 1917).

Link to the Gazette for the M.I.D. is here...... https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30560/supplement/2885

Regards

Steve

Edited by SteveE