Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting medal card

I am trying to find out more about my father’s regiment in ww1.  From his medal card (Victory and British) I see he was a sapper.  I would like to interpret what follows his regimental number:  519154 (T) 1984.  Does T refer to Territorials?  What does 1984 refer to?  Where do I go from here to find out whether he served abroad - presuming he did, as he was awarded these medals.  Any advice would be gratefully received.  Thank you.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

It would help those that follow me if you could post his name (I'm guessing he was Horace V Young?), dob, etc. as the experts will be along shortly.

If you take a look at the Long Long Trail above it gives loads of information on how to go about your research.

1984 would probably have been his original number and the longer one was a result of a renumbering exercise (experts will clarify this I am sure).

As his MIC doesn't have a date of entry to Theatre this means he went overseas I believe after 1915 (happy to be corrected).

If you have access to Ancestry search for him in the Medal Rolls in the military awards and decorations section as that may show the battalion he served in.

Good luck with your research

David

I think that 1984 was his original Territorial service number.  When the Territorials were renumbered in February 1917, he was given the number 519154 

The numbers 518001 to 520000 were allocated to Hampshire (Fortress) Company.  If it's the right chap, he was living in Portsmouth in 1911 so that makes sense.

See here for information on Territorial Force R.E. renumbering - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-royal-engineers-in-1917/

His entitlement to Victory and British War Medals show that he did go abroad (1916 or later, as he hasn't got a star).

Edited by IPT

Well, he's Royal Engineers I believe according to his MIC

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-corps-of-royal-engineers-in-the-first-world-war/

Renumbered in 1917, his 6 digit number puts him in Hampshire (Fortress) Coy

Edited by saw119

• Admin

His service records have not survived but those that have indicate:-

1973/519148 Robert Hill enlisted 28 June 1915 Hampshire (Fortress) R.E.

Original service in No 48 (Hants) A.A Company R.E. (Territorial). Then a posting to No 3 (Gosport) Fortress Company 6 April 1918

Then to 5th Provisional Battalion R.E. 7 May 1918 and embarked for France 26 June 1918.  It looks as though he got no further than the Base Depot as he was hospitalised and sent back to the UK in July

519163 Taylor enlisted 5 July 1915, he later transferred to Tank Corps.

Therefore we can say with some degree of certainty your father Sapper 519154 Young enlisted between 28 June 1915 and 5 July 1915 in the Hampshire (Fortress) R.E., a Territorial Force unit whose Headquarters were at Commercial Road, Portsmouth.

When (apart from the fact it was after 31/12/1915 as mentioned above) and where he served in a theatre of war is a bit more difficult to establish.

The Fortress Company also provided reinforcement drafts for the 506 (Hants) Field Company in Salonica  men in that number series going out in October 1916.

Malaria was endemic in that theatre and may offer a clue if your father suffered from the disease after demobilisation.

Some men unlike your father did not go overseas at all and were posted to various ‘trade’ units at home.

Ken

• Admin

I have merged your two threads to avoid confusion and repetition 

Michelle