Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

thomas howard east lancs

Luca

Hi all 

I am looking for information on my great great uncle Thomas Howard who I have found records saying he was in the east lancs regiment (service number: 34474) which is the same regiment as my great great grandfather Walter Howard (Thomas Howard was Walter Howards brother). My great great grandfather was in the 3rd east lancs royal engineers. What I am trying to find out is what battalion in the east lancs he was in and where he served. Thomas was born in 1885 in Manchester. I would be grateful of any help.

Thanks Luca

There are fragments of his papers that still exist. He attested 9/12/15 but not mobilised until 22/10/16. All his service was in UK until April 1919. On 22/4/19 he went to France. Returned to UK 11/11/19 and discharged to Z Reserve 8/12/19. 

On mobilisation he was transferred to the Army Pay Corps where he remained. Not sure he was ever really in the E Lancs.

whilst in France he was based in Wimereux, on the coast North of Boulogne.

Edited by Mark1959

On 17/07/2018 at 20:27, Luca said:

Hi all 

I am looking for information on my great great uncle Thomas Howard who I have found records saying he was in the east lancs regiment (service number: 34474) which is the same regiment as my great great grandfather Walter Howard (Thomas Howard was Walter Howards brother). My great great grandfather was in the 3rd east lancs royal engineers. What I am trying to find out is what battalion in the east lancs he was in and where he served. Thomas was born in 1885 in Manchester. I would be grateful of any help.

Thanks Luca

I've checked thro the East Lancs Records and there is no 34474, number, looking at the other post, if he didn't serve abroad untill April 1919, he would not have had any medals either.

In order to get medals you had to have served over seas and have yur feet on the ground  for 24 hrs, from August 1914 to Nov 11th 1918, being on a ship in enemy waters didn't count either.

Neither did being posted to Ireland, and engaged in fighting there, if some of them wern't our enemys why were we there fighting them.

That 3rd East Lancs Royal Engineers is a bit off as well, never heard of such a Regiment. however there is  a Walter Howard in the 8th East Lancs Battalion, Pre 12568.  the 8th was disbanded in France in February 1918. 400 of them were transfered to the 11th East Lancs.

Edited by Retlaw

There are a few exceptions to 11/11/18 end date for medals but this chap did not meet those criteria.