Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How does one look up a paticuler day for a casualty ?

arantxa

Is  their a diary of combat reports

If you mean you have a date of wounding or death, you can check the relevant unit war diary around that date to find out what was happening and you may be lucky and find your man listed...but this is rare if he is not an officer. 

War diaries can be viewed on Ancestry or download from the National Archive - both will require some sort of payment or subscription. If you are lucky you may find a website where the diary has been transcribed e.g Bedfordshire Regiment.

If you give details (name and unit) of what you are looking for, someone may be able to look up a casualty list as published in The Times etc.

As ever on this site, the more information you can give, the better more accurate response you will get.

Regards

Alan.

There is also The Sky their Battlefield II.  If the casualty you are interested in occurred in aerial combat (this post being in the War in the Air section of the forum, so I assume it was), it should be in it, with brief details.  It is THE reference book for such things

The author, Trevor Henshaw, who is a member of this forum, will be delighted to sell you a copy via https://theskytheirbattlefield2.com , and it is worth every penny if you want to look up a number of people, or see what was going on in the air war generally at that time.  But assuming that you just want to look up one person, it is probably not worth getting the book just for that.  In which case if you can give a name and as much info as you have about the casualty here I’m sure Trevor wouldn’t mind if someone looked him up for you in their copy. You can then take things from there in terms of further research.

cheers

Piers

Edited by pierssc

1 hour ago, pierssc said:

If the casualty you are interested in occurred in aerial combat (this post being in the War in the Air section of the forum, so I assume it was)

That totally passed me by! War Diaries are obviously not the answer for the OP.

Dave 

There is also this one to look through :

Royal Flying Corps ... Military Wing. Casualties and Honours during the war of 1914-17. Compiled by Captain G. L. Campbell ... assisted by R. H. Blinkhorn

http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81055/vdc_100022556809.0x000002#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=-247.6943%2C448.5854%2C2173.3314%2C1291.088&xywh=-1473%2C0%2C4619%2C2217

Buster

Thank you to you all for your advice and help