Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do those sleeves mean?

This is my Grandad who served in the 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers ("The Stockbrokers") 1916-19.  I found a number of photos and other items when I was clearing my late Mum's home a few months ago and now I am starting out to try to learn more about his service.  He was my greatest pal when I was little but he passed away before I was old enough to have a "proper" conversation about the War or to record any reminiscences.  In several of the photos he is wearing an armband on the right sleeve as can be seen here.  Can anyone please tell me what this signifies?  I am also interested in the detail on the cuffs of the tunic.  They look like four "V" stripes on the right and on the left a larger V with a single bar.  Are these significant?  I thought perhaps they may indicate his company or platoon numbers but that is a compete guess.  I will very much appreciate any suggestions.

CCI_000002.jpg

Lovely.

The white over blue brassard on his right arm (our left) is a signaller's thing.

The chevrons on the same sleeve indicate overseas service - blue, one for each year. A red one at the bottom would indicate 1914 overseas service (unlikely here)

Left arm (our right): vertical strip is a wound stripe - one per wound. the chevron indicates 2 years' service (it's a Good Conduct badge). The thing visible at the shoulder is some form of unit/formation sign.

His shoulder straps have a fusilier grenade with RF (Royal Fusiliers) below.

The 10 on his collar is nice - it's a battalion number. Royal Fusiliers battalions seem to use these; most regiments didn't.

It is a lovely picture.

9 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

...Left arm (our right): vertical strip is a wound stripe - one per wound...

A small correction, but:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-a-wound-stripe/

One "to mark each occasion on which wounded", wounded being defined as:

"The Army Order was followed by Army Council Instruction No. 1637 of 22 August 1916 …

…. it is notified for information, that the term ‘wounded’ refers only to those officers and soldiers whose names have appeared, or may hereafter appear, in the Casualty Lists as ‘wounded’. The braid will be supplied to officers and soldiers under regimental arrangements, and Commanding Officers will ensure that it is not worn by those who are not entitled to it. Sufficient for two jackets will be supplied to each man.”

… and was refined by Army Council Instruction No. 2075 of 3 November 1916:

1. The term ‘wounded’ refers only to those officers and soldiers whose names have appeared or may hereafter appear in casualty lists rendered by the Adjutant General’s office at a base overseas, or by the G.O.C. any force engaged in active operations. Reports in hospital lists are not to be regarded as authoritative for this purpose.

2. Officers and men reported ‘wounded – gas,’ or ‘Wounded – shock, shell,’ are entitled to the distinction.

Accidental or self-inflicted wounds or injuries do not qualify.”

So several serious wounds on one occasion = one wounded stripe, several light wounds on several occasions = several stripes. Just one of the less fair aspects of the system...

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

It is a lovely photo as Steven says.

If you are new to military research I’m sure that if you post your grandfather’s name and place of birth members may be able to turn up some more information. If you have his medals please post the numbers from the medal rim and members can probably research his military career.

Good Luck

Steve

The sign at the top of his arm is the yellow horseshoe of the 37th Division. Yellow tends to show up dark in photos of this period. As the others have said, what a great photo.

The only thing to add is that the likely date of the photo is 1918, as the overseas service chevrons were only authorised for wear I think at the end of December 1917. He doesn't have a ribbon up for the 1914-15 Star, which was instituted in December 1918, and his four overseas chevrons would indicate that his service abroad goes back to 1915, making him eligible for the Star when it came out. 

7 hours ago, Graham said:

This is my Grandad who served in the 10th Battalion Royal Fusiliers ("The Stockbrokers") 1916-19.  -  In several of the photos he is wearing an armband on the right sleeve as can be seen here.  Can anyone please tell me what this signifies?  I am also interested in the detail on the cuffs of the tunic.  They look like four "V" stripes on the right and on the left a larger V with a single bar.  Are these significant?  

CCI_000002.jpg

Great photo Graham.

Your Granfather was obviously proud of his service, the stance he has adopted for the photograph is intended to show off his badges.     In doing so he's made it possible for others here to recreate his service before knowing his details.

With a name and number it's possible to find out how and where he was wounded and treated. 

If you're lucky his service record may have survived the London Blitz! 

I would go so far as to say that's one of the nicest pictures I've seen on the Forum in many a long month.

16 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

A small correction, but:

So several serious wounds on one occasion = one wounded stripe, several light wounds on several occasions = several stripes. Just one of the less fair aspects of the system...

Thanks - something new every day.

1/ Do we assume a whistle on the end of the chain? Any connection to the signalling speciality?

2/ Would anyone having 2 overseas service chevrons automatically qualify for the LS & GC chevron? Or was GC not necessary for the OS chevron?

Lovely photo!

1/ Possibly a whistle, but more likely a clasp knife.

2/ Overseas chevrons did not require the man to be qualified for the long service and good conduct badge.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I seem to recall seeing many more men with 2 or more OS chevrons without LSGC stripe than with. :unsure:

Dear All,

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments and kind remarks.  It's good to find a forum where people are naturally civil to one another and there is none of the bile so often found online.

I can quite easily see how people get bitten by the Great War research bug and I think I have found something to occupy me in my now retired state!

In regards to the photo, it is noted on the back as "1917", definitely in Grandad's handwriting.  Yet he only went to France in summer 1916 and as he has four OS stripes then surely it could not have been taken before summer 1919 - he was eventually discharged in November of that year.  What a strange error to make - but then it may have been done many years later when memory had started to fade.

Graham

Welcome, Graham. There are occasional fallings-out, but generally we're a nice bunch.