Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

wendyhawk

Good evening

I would like to ask a simple question, to which the answer could be - visiting his mother! But this may help me solve a mystery that I am researching. Can anyone say why the Northumberland Fusiliers would be in Walthamstow in October/November 1911? Thank you.

Hi,

I think if you are asking why an individual NF soldier was in Walthamstow you’d need to post his details so a check could be made on his whereabouts at the time of the April 1911 census.

I think 1st NF were in Portsmouth in August 1914 and and 2nd were in India.

Steve

• Admin

Perhaps they sent a detachment of the NF to London in regards to:

The coronation of George V and Mary of Teck as King and Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Empire took place at Westminster Abbey, London, on 22 June 1911.

And the detachment was barracked somewhere in Walthamstow - but why they would still be there in Oct/Nov does not seem to tie in.

Just an idea.

Russ

Edited by RussT

Hi Wendyhawk

The 1st Bn, N.F., were located in Gharial, Murree Hills, India in October 1911, before moving to Rawal Pindi in preparation for the Dehli Durbar in the November. The 2nd Bn, N.F., were located in Hillsborough Barracks, Yorkshire, with a Detachment at Pontefract. As can be expected the Depot was located at The Barracks, Newcastle, which was more formerly known as the 5th/68th Depot, as the Durham Light Infantry Depot was also located there.

Therefore whoever this person is could possibly be a member of the 2nd Bn on leave from Sheffield or a recruit/Staff member from the Depot also on leave. Leave wasn't unusual from overseas postings during this time, but as the only way home and back was by ship, then it was time consuming.

Another factor to take into consideration is that the Northumberlands weren't exclusively made up of men from that County, during this period of time, and they did have a lot of men serving in the Regiment who originated from the Home Counties(London included). If you have a name it may be of assistance or perhaps even a photo to show us.