Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What IS he wearing???

phsvm

This is a photo of William Roberts who served in the Berkshire Militia then did 4 years in Bermuda then went to France in 1914 with the RGA.

I can't make out if he's wearing a uniform but it does look as if he's got a two-tone dead sheep wrapped around him!  He's obviously wearing a tin hat and appears to be carrying a gas mask but are his boots correct for military dress?  Anyone have any ideas what this is?

1330916727_WilliamRoberts.jpg.7136312a9f11e03dc671f2a852e5f030.jpg

I doubt that's the sort of kit he'd take home and wear for a photograph, so presumably "somewhere in France" studio by the back cloth. Anything on the reverse?

After 4 years in Bermuda, he'd probably have worn that goat skin all year round!

He wears brown ‘trenchboots’ of a type with built in gaiter at the upper part that were sometimes issued in inclement conditions.

What might be a bit confusing to someone not familiar, is the way he has his respirator on his chest with the face mask hanging down by its tube - not a common sight like this, and I imagine this has been done for the purpose of having the photo taken.

David

I read some letters from a Canadian doctor who arrived in Belgium in early 1915 and he describes being passed by open trucks of men wearing these jerkins looking like herds of some new type of animal.  They weren't always that healthy though he later diagnoses a man with an anthrax lesion on his cheek as a result of using his jerkin as a pillow

Unfortunatley I don't have the original and the person who sent it to me scanned it some years ago so doesn't now have the original to look and see if it has a photographer listed on the back.

Thank you all so much for all the information.  Fascinating stuff and much, much more than I ever expected to learn from it.

Can one date the photo to a particular winter ?

Tin helmet - 1915 onward

Type of gasmask -  SBR issued from Aug 1916

Type of Jerkin - ??

So Winter 16/17 or 17/18 ?

Charlie

I see he is 27976 William Roberts from Chilton and he served both winter 16/17 and 17/18 with 71 Heavy Battery RGA in France

Edited by charlie962

Correct.  That's him.  Unfortunately as he was in France for the duration that doesn't narrow down the time period.  The only other piece of information that might have helped was when he was promoted but the dead goat obscures that.

9 minutes ago, phsvm said:

Unfortunately as he was in France for the duration

His MIC says he first entred a Theatre of War (France) on 10/3/1915.

7 minutes ago, phsvm said:

I stand corrected - he was serving in the military for the duration but as you say didn't arrive in France until 1915.

March could still be freezing cold, so it is still possible that the pic was taken then.

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

so it is still possible that the pic was taken then.

not 1915 if he carries the SBR ?

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

not 1915 if he carries the SBR ?

I wasn't thinking about that.

You're quite right.

I didn’t think that the animal skin jerkins were used after the Winter of 1916.  Didn’t they fall out of favour after that?  I seem to recall reading something along those lines and that instead the leather jerkin with woollen lining mentioned above became general issue instead.

Edited by FROGSMILE

29 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Didn’t they fall out of favour after that?

Someone has posted a photo here of a Sgt, RGA in Italy 1918 wearing an animal skin jerkin, without the sleeves. Looks like it is made from cats. Or is it the wool lined jerkin inside-out?

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Someone has posted a photo here of a Sgt, RGA in Italy 1918 wearing an animal skin jerkin, without the sleeves. Looks like it is made from cats. Or is it the wool lined jerkin inside-out?

Thanks Charlie, I can’t comment much about the Italian Front, not knowing much about it, but more about France & Flanders.  Thanks though.

The 1/6th Black Watch were issued with these about the beginning of November 1915. Not sure when they fell out of favour but remember reading that they stank when wet.

Just found the reference: 15/2/1915 Featherstonehaugh's History of the 13th (Canadian) Battalion.

Before the disembarkation of the Battalion proper, which took place the next afternoon, all ranks had issued to them the British sheep skin trench coat. At first the men were proud of these and wandered about with all the conscious importance of peacocks on parade, but eventually the fact that the coats were possessed of a diabolical smell could no longer be ignored. From the moment that this unfortunate attribute was discovered the popularity of the coats waned. What became of them is not clear. "

Mike

The reports of the smell brings back very fond memories of a beautiful Afghan coat I had in the late 1970's. It looked fairly simlar as the one William's wearing as well although we wore them with the hair side in. 

2 hours ago, phsvm said:

The reports of the smell brings back very fond memories of a beautiful Afghan coat I had in the late 1970's. It looked fairly simlar as the one William's wearing as well although we wore them with the hair side in. 

They too had a military connection as a North West Frontier tribal garment for cold weather known as a Poshteen.  They were adopted by the British-Indian Army and are frequently seen in old photographs of the Raj period.

Edited by FROGSMILE