Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

miliwis

Hello,

Would anyone happen to know where Pulpit Hill in Salonika was? The 8th Royal Scots Fusiliers were based there throughout July and part of August 1918.

Many thanks!

Scott

Hi Scott,

I created an index of place names that are on the SCS trench maps but there is no reference to Pulpit Hill, did you get this from the battalion war diary? If so are there any other place names mentioned? This might help to work out roughly where it is.

Hi Mark,

There isn't much, the 8th RSF war diary is a bit scant. In July there is mention of A Company changing over with C Company who were in Glen Smol (?)  and during August one company worked on the Spancovo - Smol - M3 Road. The battalion left Pulpit Hill for Dache Camp in motor lorries on 16 August, after which they were based in No.4 Sector (I'm not sure where this is either) into September.

Many thanks,

Scott

SAW_211009_013.JPG

Hi Scott,
Found them, they are all on the Gjevgjeli trench map, Smol is about 3km south of Macukovo and Spancovo is about 5km SSE of Smol which is on the shore of Lake Ardzan. Pulpit hill is about 0.5km due west of Spancovo, You won't find Lake Ardzan on a modern map as it has been drained. All are just a couple of kilometres east of the river Vardar. Macukovo was in no mans land in the Vardar Doiran sector of the line.

That is amazing Mark, thank you so much. I've been trying to piece together the last few weeks of my great grandfathers life before he was KIA on 19 September. Such a tragedy for the family, he survived Gallipoli, The Somme, Third Ypres and ended up in Salonika, where his luck ran out.

Thank you again,

Scott

On the 19th September the 8th RSF were taking part in the second battle of Doiran. They attacked a hill called the Sugar loaf and suffered heavy casualties. I would recommend you get a copy of Wakefield and Moody's book 'Under the Devils Eye' this will give you an excellent overview of the British involvement in the Salonika campaign as well as details of the key battles and actions including the second battle of Doiran.

Hi, yes, agreed, an excellent book. I got a copy about ten or eleven years ago and it does give a good account of the RSF in the battle (unlike John Buchan's official history of the regiment!) We're hoping to be the first family members to get out to see great grandad's grave later this year. Thanks again for your help.

Best,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Are you a member of the Salonika Campaign Society? If not I can recommend joining just to get a copy of the trench map CD the area between the river Vardar and Lake Doiran is extensively covered. Also the society run battlefield tours to Salonika twice a year, are you going under your own steam?

• 2 months later...

Dear Mark & Keith,

Apologies, I didn't receive any notification that you had commented further on the thread, so have only just noticed your messages now. We had planned to be in Doiran tomorrow for the anniversary of my great grandfather's death (43135 Pte. Andrew Horne, 8th RSF), however, ill health has prevented my mother from going, so we had to postpone the trip. I am very interested in the battlefield tours (I don't think mum would have the stamina for those) so will keep an eye on the society website and hopefully will be able to go on one of those in the future.

Kind regards,

Scott