Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie's Steel Helmet, Type B or Mark I (idk)

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong area, the forum / category titles do not seem to be working for me.

I recently came across a Brodie helmet (which I believe to be a type B since it is marked HS for Hadfields Limited in Sheffield, although I could easily be wrong, perhaps they also manufactured Mk 1's)

Anyways, this individual helmet confused me, due to its paint scheme in the image below.

b3vZags.png

For some reason, it has a white marking clear on the front, In the U.S it could be the insignia of a Second Lieutenant, however this is not a P17 helmet it has the markings of a British brodie, and the British symbol for a 2nd lieutenant is a single star, not a single bar. Could this white bar mean something else? or perhaps was this paint done after the war by some collector who did not know better? I have never seen this marking in time period photos, so I am just looking for a second opinion, thanks!

3 hours ago, Drahgoone said:

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong area, the forum / category titles do not seem to be working for me.

I recently came across a Brodie helmet (which I believe to be a type B since it is marked HS for Hadfields Limited in Sheffield, although I could easily be wrong, perhaps they also manufactured Mk 1's)

Anyways, this individual helmet confused me, due to its paint scheme in the image below.

b3vZags.png

For some reason, it has a white marking clear on the front, In the U.S it could be the insignia of a Second Lieutenant, however this is not a P17 helmet it has the markings of a British brodie, and the British symbol for a 2nd lieutenant is a single star, not a single bar. Could this white bar mean something else? or perhaps was this paint done after the war by some collector who did not know better? I have never seen this marking in time period photos, so I am just looking for a second opinion, thanks!

Well, some British Brodies (mark 1s, not the rimless war office patent) were supplied to U.S before the U.S made their own copies of the Brodie. (Interestingly, the French supplied some Adrian helmets to the Americans but the U.S decided to copy the Brodie not the Adrian.) Is this the case for this Helmet? I don't know.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:23 AM, Jools mckenna said:

Well, some British Brodies (mark 1s, not the rimless war office patent) were supplied to U.S before the U.S made their own copies of the Brodie. (Interestingly, the French supplied some Adrian helmets to the Americans but the U.S decided to copy the Brodie not the Adrian.) Is this the case for this Helmet? I don't know.

Hm, I suppose that is possible, however I imagine very few would have been British which is where I have my doubts. Thanks for the ideas!

3 hours ago, Drahgoone said:

Hm, I suppose that is possible, however I imagine very few would have been British which is where I have my doubts. Thanks for the ideas!

"Helmets were procured from British supply until such point as the Americans could supply themselves with their own helmets. So a large number of American dough boys wore British made helmets though out their service in France." 

https://alexanderandsonsrestorations.com/british-mark-brodie-u-s-p17-know-difference/