Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Replica medals ?

deacs

I am wondering if anybody can help me with some advice please.

I have just bought my first death plaque and have found a photo of the chap but I would like to get some medals to go in a frame, as I know there is probably no chance of getting his original medals I am wondering if buying replica medals would be a good idea.

If I do buy some replicas are they any good ?

Regards Mike.

I made up 2 groups, of replicas, for displays of those won by my Gt. Uncles, brothers who were killed.

The real medals are with another branch of the family & will never find their way to me but the 2 lads are equally important to my side of the family; the replica route was the only way for me to go.

You can make them out in this pic; the Memorial Scrolls were made by someone in this group many years ago, they’re virtually indistinguishable from the real ones.

8765D682-DDCC-4F9E-9507-720E799A594F.jpeg

They look fantastic Lee cheers for sharing, so you can get replica scrolls that would be good too another thing to look for thank you very much.

Mike.

10 hours ago, deacs said:

They look fantastic Lee cheers for sharing, so you can get replica scrolls that would be good too another thing to look for thank you very much.

Mike.

I’m not sure if these particular Scrolls are available anymore. There was a chap in this group who managed to get the same paper, ink etc (& they even had the pencil guidelines for the name etc) to make them but it caused a bit of controversy as there were indistinguishable from the real ones; if I recall there was the word ‘Copy’ hidden in the crown.

They were made quite a while ago so doubt they’re still available...BUT...a quick Google search will produce results.

10 hours ago, archangel9 said:

Excellent display Lee. 

Thank Archangel. They are Gt. Uncles who died in service. The WW1 displays are for Edward Swain 12th Royal Fusiliers KIA 2 Feb 1916 at Sanctuary Wood & his younger brother William George 2nd Bedford’s KIA 21 March 1918 at Holnon.

The other display is for Percy Bradbury 5th Suffolks, captured at Singapore & who died on the Death Railway on 21 July 1943; the object beside his medals is a railway track pin from the Death Railway.

the other frame is a Royal Humane Society certificate for life saving awarded to my Grandfather, George Bradbury, a WW1 Veteran (seriously wounded during Passchendaele in 1917, who saved a child from drowning in the canal in Southall after the war.

i will follow this thread with interest. Im in the same position regards wanting to buy a replica group for a relative. Any one got recommenditions for decent companies? I know there is very cheap ones on Ebay but im not going to spend my money on chinese rubbish

Hi Graeme, and welcome to the Forum.

May I offer this company https://www.worcmedals.com/, appointment to Her Majesty, they give an excellent service. I am sure there are many more that will be offered up by fellow Pals on this Forum so you’ll have plenty of research to do going forward with your project.

13 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:

I’m not sure if these particular Scrolls are available anymore.

Hi Lee/deacs

The Company I have mentioned above do a replica Scroll, if you go to their site and seek out WW1 you will find the scroll at the bottom of the replica medals.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi Lee/deacs

The Company I have mentioned above do a replica Scroll, if you go to their site and seek out WW1 you will find the scroll at the bottom of the replica medals.

Handy to know, thanks.

17 hours ago, Knotty said:

May I offer

Knotty,   Thanks for the link.  The items offered look great.  Will have to consider using them.

14 hours ago, Lee Bradbury said:

Handy to know

Lee,   Why Gordons and Seaforth ???.  PM if you wish.

Cheers Knotty I know which way I'll be going thanks very much. 

Regards Mike 

Now that I have decided which way I am going with this I want to make sure I am getting the right medals. I am attaching his MIC for you to have a look please to point me in the right direction .

So do I need the 14 star or the 14-15 star, the British War medal is it the silver or bronze or does that not matter ?, and the victory medal that his a no brainer even I can work that one out.

Now on his scroll do I say he was Lance Corporal or L/Cpl ? I know it states pte but when he was killed he was Lance Corporal.

Thanks once again for being patient and helpful cheers.

Regards Mike.

William Percy Chicken.jpg

Edited by deacs

Hi deacs

Looking at his record I would say it’s the 1914 Star, and you need the silver BWM, the bronze was awarded mainly to the Chinese, Egyptians and other “native” contingents that received army pay.

Please don’t take my word for it, wait till you get a conformation from another forum pal, I would hate myself if it were the wrong information.

Thanks Knotty I will take your advice and wait but cheers for the quick response but it does sound good to me.

Mike. 

deacs,    Knotty is correct.  The MIC and medal roll both indicate the 1914 Star, ( qualifying date 26 October 1914).  British troops would receive only the silver BWM.  William Percy Chicken, (5/Border Regt KIA 10 January 1916),  was entitled to both the BWM and AVM per that medal roll.  Appears he was a Pte on the Star and L/Cpl for the other two.  However, I am still not really good at reading the engravers shorthand on the MIC.  Hopefully, more experienced PALs will come along and confirm/correct that info.  Do you know where he is buried ?

Edited by bif

Hi,

You won’t need to worry about the “bar” for 1914 Star as 5 Border were L of C troops on arrival in France until April 1915.

Steve

Hi Bif he is buried in Perth cemetery (China Wall). 

Thank you everyone I will know get on and order the medals and scroll cheers it as been much appreciated. 

Regards Mike