Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Cap Badge

hucktheberry

HI
Just found this photo of my great-grandfather. I'd really appreciate it if someone could identify the cap badge.

He would of been 31 in 1914 so am I correct to presume it's WW1 and can't see any rank but looks like an officer ?

1845169156_WilliamHudsoncopy.jpg.4dceb0c390fcb478183643243e16b851.jpg

• Admin

Royal Engineers,and certainly looks like an officer, as the Sam Browne is visible. Welcome to the forum. 

Michelle 

I agree with Michelle.  Welcome to the forum.  The type of badge is known as ‘officers service dress bronze.’  The coat is called a ‘British Warm.’

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi

I found his Medal Record card online - thanks for point out his Regiment

Just wondering why he has no Regimental Number and what does the "MC" under his name mean?

Thanks for any help!

PS - Thanks Frogsmile for the uniform info

WO 372_10_84535_Page_2.jpg

14 minutes ago, hucktheberry said:

Hi

I found his Medal Record card online - thanks for point out his Regiment

Just wondering why he has no Regimental Number and what does the "MC" under his name mean?

Thanks for any help!

PS - Thanks Frogsmile for the uniform info

At that time officers did not have Regimental Serial Numbers, as it was considered that their names were sufficient identity (there was undoubtedly a degree of snobbery by modern standards in this, but at that time a clear demarcation between officers and other ranks in almost all things was considered a natural protocol).

Edited by FROGSMILE

30 minutes ago, hucktheberry said:

I found his Medal Record card online -

And you will note there are 2 possibilities, one with the MC (Military Cross) and one without. You need to see the back of the card for address to decide which card is his.

1302564108_HudsonWREMajor.JPG.5f16032fd0e74d7899a7dac26a897db2.JPG

Man with the MC has these correspondence addresses (presumably still serving after the War)

64285446_HudsonWREMajor1.JPG.24f2cc80620dcbea96a64f938512a609.JPG

2nd man has this address.

1854853485_HudsonWREmajor2.JPG.405f7e1e9d4c8dc785337f95da698d46.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Thanks  Frogsmile - never knew that.

charlie962 - thanks. Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I see the back of the card or do I have to go to the Archives in Kew?

Hi charlie962

Pretty sure it’s the 2nd man.

Grandfather was born in Sussex and there’s no mention anywhere in family about anyone being awarded a MC.

Is there any information on the Medal Record Card about what company/unit of the Royal Engineers he was in, which I could then research?

National Archives have Officers Service Files for two William Hudson Royal Engineers. Unfortunately not digitised so requires you or someone else to visit Kew.

Using what we have seen above, I suspect the Lt Col is the MC man who continued to serve after the war and reached Lt Colonel rank when he retired. The Lt, ie the second set of papers, is probably the one you want. I'm assuming he might have been Lt, acting Major at the end of the war when he he would have resigned his commission. But you won't know for sure without reading the files ! Be aware that service files are heavily weeded and can be disappointing with their lack of information.

Given that there are two William Hudson RE it probably won't be very helpful looking elsewhere as we won't know for sure who we are looking at- if you see what I mean.

1974749027_HudsonWREServicepapersNA.JPG.ef3417b47787c91cc92ee296e723d410.JPG

Charlie

Edit- If you have his exact date of birth that would help (I know you've already said c 1883)

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for that. 

I’ll have to try and get an exact birth date. 

He was never spoken about in the family - looks like in the Archives his wife Margaret filed for divorce in the 1930’s

Hi hucktheberry,

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:36, hucktheberry said:

how do I see the back of the card or do I have to go to the Archives in Kew?

The cards (front and back, in colour) are available to view free on Ancestry - search page link. I understand you don't have to have an active subscription, but you do need a registered account.

Regards

Chris