Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

They're Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace

Fattyowls

A friend of mine has produced something about Private 16359 William Henry James Kirsopp of the Scots Guards. He attested on 2nd February 1916, was mobilised on 2nd January 1917 and according to his service record joined the 3rd Battalion at Caterham. He went to France to join the 1st Battalion on 16th February 1918 and was wounded south of Arras on 5th April 1918, losing a finger. He returned to the 3rd Battalion on the 11th April '18, and was reposted to the 1st on 6rd March 1919 before deserting on the 24th. He did 45 of a 56 day sentence after turning himself in.

My friend has convinced himself that Kirsopp trained and was based at Wellington Barracks next to Buckingham Palace. I pointed out the Caterham reference on the service record but Tony is still convinced he was based at Wellington Barracks after training at Caterham. I can't see any evidence for this but was wondering if the Guards battalions based at Caterham would take turns to guard the Palace and be temporarily based at Wellington Barracks while they were doing so. If they did there must be a chance that Billy Kirsopp did stay at Wellington Barracks if it was being used for that purpose. Could any of the Guards experts enlighten us please?

Thanks,

Pete.

P.S. Two of my other interests, Sam Chedgzoy and George Harrison were also in the Scots Guards but went to France earlier than Kirsopp, would it be possible that they too would have guarded the palace?

Hi,

Guards units at Caterham were there for training only. After training recruits would be posted to their respective Regimental Reserve Battalion pending posting overseas (wounded sick personnel were also posted to their Reserve Battalion ex BEF - initially an administrative posting as they would be receiving treatment. They would be physically present once fully recovered).

Long Long Trail says that 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Scots Guards was based at Chelsea Barracks from late 1914.

I’m sure there is mention of Public Duties in WW1 London in Julian Paget’s book The Story of The Guards but as I’m away from home I can’t consult my copy.

EDIT TO ADD However you may find the answer somewhere in the Scots Guards WW1 History via below hathi trust link - 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015022651783;view=2up;seq=8;skin=mobile

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Excellent Steve; I'd seen the LLT reference to the 3rd Scots Guards being formed at Chelsea in 1914 but I hadn't realised that they stayed there. The information about the Guards training at Caterham is really useful too, I'd not realised that. As for the link to the History of the Scots Guards, with three of my interests in the regiment that will be a goldmine. All much appreciated.

Pete.

Hi,

Just had a quick scan of the first page of the Reserve Battalion chapter.

LLT is wrong. Book says 3rd SG were at Wellington Barracks from 2nd October 1914 until it was disbanded in early 1919.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

23 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

Just had a quick scan of the first page of the Reserve Battalion chapter.

LLT is wrong. Book says 3rd SG were at Wellington Barracks from 2nd October 1914 until it was disbanded in early 1919.

Steve

Hi Steve

That's great, I owe my friend Tony an apology as I'd tried to convince him they would have been at Caterham. Good to establish the facts.

Pete.