Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

O. Huckson ...can you help?

phil1963

In the windows of many shops on Leomineter, near Hereford are laminated A4 sized cards with the details of those casualties who hailed from the town I presume. In the window of "step in time" in Corn Street is a card for O. Huckson who "served time in the South Wales Borderers". There are four with this surname killed in the great war......one served with the Australian infantry, so can probably be ignored, one somewhere else and one with the Glosters and one (the best bet) who served with the Herefordshire Regiment .....yet none has an initial of O. Can anyone throw any light on this chap who the town would no doubt love to know more about?

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:
Deaths Sep 1977   (>99%)
HUCKSON  OWEN  23AP1898  WINDSOR/M  19 611  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Cheers Dai, would dob link up with this being the chap whose  MIC I posted above?

If so, the thought I had that as he was a SWB recipient he might have died after the CWGC cut off is vilified - but by so much I can't see why he would be remembered as a ww1 death?

Perhaps Leominster are remembering more than just deaths?

David

Just realised I have misread SWB as the wound badge when it was meant as the regiment - apologies!

Edited by DavidOwen
confused swb's

7 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Cheers Dai, would dob link up with this being the chap whose  MIC I posted above?

If so, the thought I had that as he was a SWB recipient he might have died after the CWGC cut off is vilified - but by so much I can't see why he would be remembered as a ww1 death?

Perhaps Leominster are remembering more than just deaths?

David

Not enough on the MIC itself to tie in, but looking at the 1911 Census for England & Wales (in the words of the song...) There's only one Owen Huckson.

Born Putley Herfordshire, aged 12 therefore born ca.1899.

1939 Register:

Name: Owen Huckson Senr
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 23 Apr 1898
Residence Year: 1939
Address: Gardeners Cottage
Residence Place: Easthampstead, Berkshire, England

• Admin

The 1911 Census has him age 12, son of Annie & Frank as per the Herefordshire WW1 website.

If that is indeed him and his age of 12 is correct, then it appears he would have joined-up underage as Owen Huckson's MIC has an SWB service number that would have been allotted to 10th Battalion men in May/June 1915 (and the MIC/Medal Roll shows he went out originally with the 10/SWB)

Russ

Edited by RussT

• Admin
3 minutes ago, RussT said:

The 1911 Census has him age 12, son of Annie & Frank as per the Herefordshire WW1 website.

If that is indeed him and his age of 12 is correct, then it appears he would have joined-up underage as the Owen Huckson's MIC in post 3 has an SWB service number that would have been allotted to 10th Battalion men in May/June 1915.

Russ

As many did (and many died too sadly)

• Admin

I have removed the image of the medal index card, as there was no acknowledgement as to the source of the image. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I have removed the image of the medal index card, as there was no acknowledgement as to the source of the image. 

My mistake - sorry!

Image taken from Ancestry (free access)

image.png.f655d7946a1db1a2dabb20b19429481f.png

Edited by DavidOwen