Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inscription on 4.5in Howitzer shell

Mike Morley

My local Community Shop has been donated what looks like a tobacco jar made from a couple of 4.5 inch howitzer shells. I need some help with identifying the crest that has been engraved on it. On one side it says "Bapaume 1918" but it is the other side that I'd like help with. It says RAF, followed by the crown and bird of prey, then a large letter B intertwined with what almost looks like a wishbone, followed by 1915-1918. I'm not the best photographer in the world so I hope you can make this out! Be nice to feed back as they'd like to use it for their Remembrance Day ceremony. Thanks in anticipation - I'm sure someone will know!

P7150008 (2).JPG

2 hours ago, Mike Morley said:

then a large letter B intertwined with what almost looks like a wishbone,

Surely the 'wishbone' is in fact a letter 'G'

giving the monogram either BG or perhaps GB

A local guy knows about markings on the base of shells and has told me what they mean (his front window sill is adorned with about 8 shells of various sizes!!).

It could be a stylised G, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

What would be the connection between the RAF - established, as we now all know, if not before(!), on 1st April 1918 - and (I assume) 2nd Baupame? Just recce work or bombing or combat? One single squadron or several involved in this?