The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire22

Hi

has anybody stayed at the Hotel ibis at assevillers service area

1 - what is the bar, the rooms, dining facilities etc like in the hotel 

2 - what are the facilities in the service station i.e. food, drinks etc

Jamie

Stayed there with my son for 100th anniversary. Restaurant and bar fair enough for a short stay. Didn’t venture into the rest of the service station.

Thank you for your replies. 

I already looked at booking.com and trip advisor for their reviews,  they seem to be ok.  

I just booked with leger holidays, for a walking tour on the Somme next year. 

wanted to hear what other people from this forum had to say about this hotel.

I can't speak for this particular Ibis but, in April, I booked the one in Albert for 3 nights. The day of my arrival, I'd been walking in the wind and rain for several hours before checking in. When I got there, bedraggled, I asked what time the restaurant (well, snack bar) opened but was told that no food was available. Could I get a drink at the bar? No, the bar was closed all evening. But! there was a coffee vending machine in the foyer. The room was extremely basic, the only places to sit being on the bed or an upright bench with a cushion on. Not exactly the place to relax after a day's walking! I searched the internet, found a room cancellation in central Albert, paid the Ibis cancellation fee and moved to a lovely warm room in town, complete with bar and restaurant.

I'm not saying don't use the Ibis but do check that the facilities offer what you are expecting and check out the reviews (I hadn't).

Edited by trenchtrotter

On 15/07/2018 at 22:54, trenchtrotter said:

Don't worry re this hotel. Its being demolished next Sept and will be a lorry park. Leger won't be using it. I stayed there last week and will spend three weeks there in Aug. It is what it is. On a service area. Good restaurant, small bar and usual hotel prices. No where to go for alternative drinks. Nice walk into village and CWCG cemetery. Ideal base for Somme areas. Service area is ok for food and stuff but no bars / ability to buy alcohol. But all irrelevant to you. Ideal base for Walking Somme tour by Leger.  Don't quote me but next year I think it will be Amiens.

Trenchtrotter

thank you for your reply.  

When I booked, nothing was said about the hotel being knocked down.

i rang leger this morning, it seems the front of house staff weren’t aware of this, so they needed to speak to hotel booking staff. 

Who confirmed it and the hotel will  be the ibis in amien for the walking tour next year 

jamie

Edited by Cheshire22

Can I just clarify.... are you saying that the Ibis in Albert, or Assevillers, will be demolished?...... or have I read this wrong?

Andrew

9 hours ago, aengland said:

Can I just clarify.... are you saying that the Ibis in Albert, or Assevillers, will be demolished?...... or have I read this wrong?

Andrew

Andrew

It is the Hotel ibis at assevillers service area that is being knocked down in October 2018

It shocked me, as I only booked the tour with Leger last Wednesday.  

This will be my second tour with Leger, the last time we stayed in the Novotel hotel in Ypres, so plenty of eating and drinking places around.  

Before I booked, I had a look at google maps, for the area around the hotel for food and drink places.

nothing around, hence my questions about the hotel and the facilities in the service station 

jamie

Jamie where ever you end up the hotel will be fine. The restaurant at Assevillers is very good. Great buffet brekkie and evening meals.  Rooms are good. I like it. The tour you have booked is superb. Good choice.

Edited by trenchtrotter