Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My research on Grandfather

Don

Dear all.

I have finally completed my research on my Grandfather. I was asked by many of  my relatives  to give a lay mans edition of Thomas Walsh's involvement in the Great War

I would be grateful if members could have a look if they have some spare time and make comments re the document.

Please feel  free to make any comment so I can tweek it or omit things or indeed point out errors.

Much obliged in advance

Gerry  

Grandfather Thomas Walsh.pdf

Edited by Don

Gerry

I've read the first bit through and spotted the odd typo, I'll note them down and post them separately. I did wonder if a bit more on the wider context of the war situation might give more of a picture, for example when describing Cambrai saying a bit more about the first mass use of tanks and really sophisticated artillery ranging. I wouldn't want you to go too heavily into the detail as it is for the lay reader as you say. Hope this is ok.

Hope this is ok,

Pete.

P.S. He was unlucky with bouts of sickness wasn't he? Or maybe lucky.

Super Pete,

much obliged

Regards Gerry  

I've just located a lay reader (called Ali) who does the proofing for my stuff, she's happy to have a read through too. She knows more than she gives herself credit for; she sends her best too.

Pete.

Lovely to hear that Peter

Niall is getting married on the 30th August to his sweetheart Niamh and grandchild Pete is doing fine

Gerry

Well done with the story, I hope I can do as well when I get round to writing up my Grandfathers' stories.

A couple of points jumped out that might be worth checking:

• I thought Heavy Batteries at the start of the war were either equipped with 60 Pounders or in the case of Territorial Force units 4.7" guns, rather than 5" Howitzers?
  • Is Nephritis "Trench Fever"?

Peter

Good story.

As Peter notes, Nephritis isn't Trench Fever, but was called Trench Nephritis.

Only major thing I noticed was that your chart on page 9 has two date errors: You have 29 September 1908, instead of 29 September 1909, and 30 September 1908, instead of 30 September 1909.

Hi Gerry

I've downloaded a copy of the pdf but I can't edit it so I'm making notes in a word document that I'll email over once finished (if your email address is the same as the last time we corresponded, send me a personal message with the new one if not). I'll also take the diabolical liberty of copying in Peter's and Keith's points above so there all in one place for you.

Pete.

P.S. Send our very best wishes to Niall and Niamh, we are so happy for them. And I bet little Pete's not so little now.

Dear Gerry,

Well done!

I thought the RGA Rates of Pay (especially vis-a-vis Officers) was a nice and informative touch. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Kim for your kind words.It has taken a few years of stops and starts,but I think I have finally given my relatives something they can understand and hopefully they will remember his exploits and pass it on to the next generation.

Hi Peter,

I have checked out the heavy batteries and you are correct. Thank you for pointing this out to me it was very helpful

Gerry