Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Somerset Light Infantry

DuncanBro

Hello, I'm trying to research individual men serving in the 1/4th Somerset Light Infantry, in particular where there home town was. Does anyone know of any muster rolls, records or reports for the battalion that might be available? Cheers, Duncan. 

If you are researching men who were killed then 'Soldiers Died in the Great War Part 18' is what you need for home addresses.

PM me your e-address and I'll send you a list. For security don't post your e-address here.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

3 hours ago, jonbem said:

These West Country Light Bobs are all the same! :P

Good job I wasn't waiting for the cigar then!

Because the Bn went to India and then Mesopotamia there were a number of men attached to adjacent county Bns eg Somersets attached to Dorsets.

The Medal Roll for the BWM/VM for the Somerset LI is particularly helpful on identifying those who served in 1/4th or any other Bn in that they are noted on the Roll, available on Ancestry. So I would suggest not a bad idea to trawl through that roll ?

Here is a sample page

727233621_MespotSomersetLIBWMMedalRollexample.JPG.deb870f64ac36a00e70cf5b373b058c6.JPG

Charlie

Thanks everyone. I was trying to trace men who survived (rather than casualties) from the Midsomer Norton and Radstock areas. Guess there's no nice and easy muster rolls out there with handy addresses. Maybe I'll try the local libraries when I'm next in the area. 

Absent voters lists ( if they survive) ?

eg Findmypast

edit-  a quick check shows 24 hits for Radstock, Nil for Midsomer and 598 for Norton (could be chipping or anywhere)

(before I get totally fuddled with counties), FMP has nil hits for Radstock Somerset, 37 hits for Norton Somerset. Not good. Maybe local library have copies ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962