Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lanyard on the right shoulder

Jeff Haase

Is there any significance to soldiers wearing their lanyards over the right shoulder instead of the left? I have a group photo of 24 individuals - mostly ASC with a few artillery and a 9th lancer sergeant - and all are wearing their lanyards on the right.

Any thoughts?

You're sure the pictures aren't in reflection? Something that happend quite often with pictures from that time because they were printed from glass negatives which could be used both ways...

Jan

Mate,

Most AIF soldiers that are shown with lanyards are on the left but a few have them on the right which could mean as stated that the photo has been reversed.

But most soldiers carried there pocket knifes on them.

S.B

Jeff, you should be able to tell from the way the tunic is buttoned up whether the image has been reversed or not.

Gary

I used to think the image was reversed too until I noticed a couple of the guys have medal ribbons worn on the left. In other words, the lanyard and ribbons are not on the same side as would be expected.

But most soldiers carried there pocket knifes on them.

Watch out. Some of these lanyards in the pictures may not be proper lanyards at all. I've seen pictures of the proper braided (can't think of the correct term) lanyard worn on the left arm. However, I suspect that many pocketknife lanyards were worn around the right arm (because they were right handed) instead of around the waist. I wear my pocketknife yanyard around my left arm, simply because I'm left handed.

How does such a pocket knife lanyard looks like?

can i see a picture?

may be of a repro (if they make them).

I think you might find that some regiments Soldiers wore the lanyard on the right shoulder and officers on the left. something to do with sloping arms.

Originally all lanyards were for a knife or spiking too, the habit of plaiting the lanyard originates in the artillery.

Arniel