Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Schiellj

J H McKenzie South African Infantry

JulianR

Do not know, it is a possibility especially if the photo was taken just after he had joined them.  Looking at pdf 2 it says on one of the typed forms BWM and VM despatched 15 10 3, presumably 1923, however that is the medals, and I would have thought that he could have gone to the QM and asked for the ribbons to put on his tunic.  Also that same bit says his Regt No. was 888.  I do not know how Regt Nos were allocated, but that does not seem right,  unless they started with a new system immediately following WW1.  Ah, a bit further down it says that is 1914-1915 Star were despatched the same day, with a different regimental number 134, I think, so these numbers might pertain to the listing of the Regiments in some master index for the medals rather than a individual soldiers number.  

A couple of other points if you look at the second pdf and the attestation papers, down the side it says No 2436 of ?? was discharged at Aus (GWSA) to reenlist.  I would take that to mean that he was serving at Aus or near by at the time.  So any SA Regt then serving in the north of GWSA can be counted out.  I tried to look at L'Ange Urgent Imperial Service but can find no record of a Protective Garrison Regt in GWSA.

The page 2 of the attestation form says his religion is Dutch Reformed Church, then page 3 seems to say WR for religion.  Then on the Casualty Form Active Service John Andrew is CofE.  As JH is of Scottish descent I am a bit surprised that he would be CofE, this form causes more problems, it is handwritten, and I do wonder if whoever filled it in was looking at two different men at the same time.

On the 1st handwritten page it says he went to France from 1st Reserve Bn, and joins an unspecified unit on 14th August 1918, wounded on 20th Oct 1918 and sent to UK on 25th Oct, and this is the only mention I can see of 4th Regt. beyond the typed paper for John Andrew the engine driver.   So on arrival in France or before being wounded did he get sent to 4th Regt  in an emergency?

Looking at the third typed page he is discharged at Perham Down for reenlistment in something unreadable.  Perham Down is in Hampshire just east of Tidworth.  The second handwritten page was that he was discharged to enlist in the Army of Occupation, i.e. he was going to Germany/Turkey etc. with which ever British Regt he enlisted in.

Schiellj

We also have this photo that we believe to be him.  Some of it is in Afrikaans

EB9EB09F-22A2-4D65-846E-D079836B7143.jpeg

47778C39-FA38-4C32-8D44-87A8337DD8CA.jpeg

gordon92
4 hours ago, Schiellj said:

We also have this photo that we believe to be him.  Some of it is in Afrikaans

Again, the photo shows the subject in the uniform of the Gordon Highlanders.  The plaid is probably a photographer's prop.  He wears khaki spats suggesting that he changed into the full dress doublet in the photographers studio from the service dress jacket he had been wearing; white spats would ordinarily be worn in full dress.  The soiled waistbelt also is indicative that part of the uniform was likely supplied by the photographer.  The distinctive belled hose flashes of the Gordon Highlanders are clearly in evidence.

Waddell

This is one of the strangest threads I have seen in a while.

I note that the postcard has the details of Private J H McKenzie 31893 53 Gordon Highlanders.

53rd Battalion Gordon Highlanders according to the LLT were a Young soldier Training Battalion-

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/gordon-highlanders/

Another thread suggests they were disbanded before the Armistice and took in soldiers aged 18 years and 1 month-

All of which seems not to tally with the man's service records.

Are we sure the postcard is of the same man?

Scott

J H McKenzie.PNG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Waddell

The Gordon Highlanders museum might be worth contacting to see if they have anything in their archives on J.H McKenzie.

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/Family+History

Scott

JulianR

Why would JH send himself a postcard of himself, I wonder if the postcard is of Andrew, if you look above the line where it says Pte. J.H. McKenzie, it says Your caring brother, and is asking JH what he thinks of his brothers Highland dress.  I cannot see anything written in Afrikaans. 

Julian

JulianR

Looking again at the original photo you sent the lanyard around his left arm will be which ever colour was the regimental colour of the Gordons and would be worn in full dress.

The hair partings of both men are very different, on the more recent photo it is a lot higher.

Also, his religion on his attestation papers and marriage certificate are different.  On attestation he is down as Dutch Reformed Church, and on marrying as RC.  Do you know if he converted in order to marry?