Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA 263 Siege Heavy Battery 1916-18

Blackcountryman

I have been very surprised by the fantastic response I have had after placing an enquiry on here. The responses I received have now raised other questions. The relative I am researching was Gerald F Owen. I now know he was assigned to the 263 Siege Battery, serving in France. 

I have been researching this last two days but can find no reference to this battery apart from what information I received that recorded this information on his medical record.

Can anyone offer some idea as to why I cant find them? 

In anticipation of some details I thank you. 

I think it may have been better, and courteous, if you had responded to your previous thread with your enquiry.

If you have been researching Gnr. Owen on FMP then you should have the original medical record which may have been mis-transcribed and, to my mind, reads 268th Siege Battery. There is also another part medical sheet record for a different time he was hospitalised. Although not showing a date one could find other mens records who are also listed and which would give a likely time scale. He was serving with a different battery then and which you could also research.

You haven't said how you know he was assigned to 263 SB, or how you know his exact enlistment and discharge dates.

Kevin

Hi,

1 hour ago, kevinrowlinson said:

...the original medical record which may have been mis-transcribed and, to my mind, reads 268th Siege

I'd agree with Kevin. I think that it reads 268 rather than 263.

image.png.739f6c62ffb978031dbb64bb0ce4b6e3.png

Image source: Findmypast - British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

Regards

Chris

Good morning Kevin & Chris

again great information thank you. I got the Battery number from the Medal Card on Ancestry, his enlistment date was on the reverse of a photograph I have. It was taken photograph studio's Norwich.

FYI I did thank both the gentleman who kindly provided information to my original enquiry, by messaging them directly via this site. I did not realise I should add further questions relating to another aspect of my original enquiry. But thats a lesson I have learnt. Thank you again to you both for your time and information received. Steve.