Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lt Arthur H G EVANS POW 1914

Perth Digger

On the official form sent to Berlin seeking information on a possible POW, 2nd Lt CH Evans of 2nd Border Regiment, the German response that they had in captivity only 2nd Lt Arthur H.G. Evans, at Crefeld. I can't find this POW in Cox and Co's List of British Officers taken prisoner 1914-1918. Does anyone know to which regiment he belonged? I think the initials are correct.

Thanks

Mike

The closest I get is Arthur MG Evans of the 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers, captured 30 Oct 1914. ICRC have a card for him here

Would probably be your man.

I see there are 4 cards at ICRC for your Charles Heyland Evans, also captured 26 Oct 1914.

edit - don't miss the back of the cards as well.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Thanks, Charlie, that will be the man. I mistook M for H on the Berlin reply (AND missed him in the Officers' List). I need to wake up.

Evans was captured but died on the battlefield, possibly by the Germans shooting him after he protested at a soldier's mistreatment. It's in the Border Regiment's history. I've got a thread going on Evans at the moment.  As I'm interested in the missing, the ICRC can be a useful reference, even if they were not POWs, as the families' requests for information are still recorded there, with the usual comment, Rien.

Mike